Help for beginner (guitar)

betrrmann14betrrmann14 Posts: 12
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
What's a good beginning acoustic guitar? Something in the less than $500 range.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm clueless.
You're crazy man...
I like you, but you're crazy.

~Frank the Tank
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• onejourneyonejourney Posts: 285
    For less than $500??? Well let me say your starting with a pretty decent budget...you can get a pretty good guitar for that price...

Id look at Fenders....You can get one for about $300+ and they are not bad quality...just go to a guitar center (If you have one near you) and they can help you out...most people there know that beginners dont want to spend alot and they will treat you well. Plus they can ALWAYS change the price. Dont leave with anything less than $50 off and a free case!!! Im telling you, you can get it everytime....:)
    "...just be glad you have the music and cherish it for yourself..." -stateoflove79
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Seagull.
  • KumarKumar Posts: 21
    i got an Alvarez acoustic for around 250 about 4 yrs ago and it has been a gem....Talkamine also makes great acoustic guitars..but a little more pricey...but with 500 smackeroos you should be able to pull that off.
  • betrrmann14betrrmann14 Posts: 12
    thanks y'all
    You're crazy man...

~Frank the Tank
  • laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    baby taylors are nice
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • tonedef47tonedef47 Posts: 7
    I gotta go with the takamine g series
    Eddie Vedder is my idol.

• BoomDaddyBoomDaddy Posts: 51
    squire fender
  • mendicant_1mendicant_1 Posts: 39
    definitly a baby Taylor,...those are great and they're like $300
    Your head will collapse if there's nothing in it -Black Francis
  • Aria make pretty nice acoustics, although I recon Eko's are the best, although they're out of production now, and so I gues we're pretty lucky to have one in my house, but it's old, real old, sounds so good though . . .

so yeah, look for aria's cos they have a good sound to em. If you can, find out what wood it's made from, Korina wood is expensive, but really light and adds to the sound. . . dunno if acoustics come in it aswel as electrics.
    some things once spoken, can't be taken back
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I have a Gibson SG, and was thinking about getting an acoustic as well. Should I stick with a Gibson or check out some of the others mentioned here????
  • well i'd always suggest looking round, cause you're generally looking for very different qualities of sound between electrics and acoustics. For examples, while with an electric you mite want to check if the pickups give little fuzz, with an acoustic you might want a particular type of sound (as on electric you can vary the sound of your guitar with various pedals and footswitches).
    I would always suggest looking around.
    some things once spoken, can't be taken back
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'd look hard at the Taylor 100 and Big Baby series. The entry level Larrivee's are great.

Fender makes a decent series in that price range as well as does Dean (Exotica)

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mojorison_75mojorison_75 Posts: 157
    Originally posted by mendicant_1
    definitly a baby Taylor,...those are great and they're like $300

Not to be advisarial, but I hate baby taylors. To be honest, I havn't played one a lot, but the just look so cheap to me. Kinda felt cheap at the store too. Maybe it's just me.

I want to call them the potted meat of Taylor guitars. Just some left over stuff to slap together so you can say you have a Taylor. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I'd look hard at the Taylor 100 and Big Baby series. The entry level Larrivee's are great.

Fender makes a decent series in that price range as well as does Dean (Exotica)

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/

I agree with pac on the dean's. I was a little skeptical, but I played a couple at the store that were really nice. I almost bought one and may still yet. It would be a really good guitar to start out with and hang on too in my opinion. I wanted it mainly because of the electronics(I was looking for something pluggable) but it sounded really nice acoustic as well. Beautiful guitar as well.
  • Gus_3218Gus_3218 Posts: 59
    first guitar was a valencia classical for A$100 which is about 60, 70 US$. I played that for a year and a half, occasionly borrowing a mates Fender to get a feel for electric.

Its all I needed and let me save up for a decent electric an Epiphone SG 440.... nice little guitar....

so basically, buy the cheapest shittiest guitar u can dinf, bash it up, have some fun, experiment on it and then go for it. I've had good times with my piece of shit.... I can takle it anywhere cos if it breaks, who cares? def. go the cheapo;)
    ‘‘If somebody said to me, in twelve years you’ll be in a band with your brother and two carrot munching geezers who don’t like football I would have said fuck off, I’m not joining the Bee Gees.’’

Noel Gallagher
  • betrrmann14betrrmann14 Posts: 12
    What about Fender DG-20?

I played it a bit, seemed pretty good to me...
    You're crazy man...

~Frank the Tank
    Originally posted by betrrmann14
    What about Fender DG-20?

I played it a bit, seemed pretty good to me...

Probably would be a fine guitar. Ultimately it is your choice after all. If you played it, like it and it's in your range then go for it.