A cheap fix?

chewwie10chewwie10 Posts: 9
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
If this has ever been posted before, my apologies - thought I'd check to see if anyone here has some ideas.

I've got a Gibson SG, bought almost new about 7 years ago. About 2 or 3 weeks back, I started noticing the low E string sounds worse and worse, like its rattling against the first fret when plucked. This has never happened before. Thing is, last November I just took it in to the guitar shop and had everything adjusted, new jacks, etc put in, I let them adjust the bridge and like because I wouldn't know where to start in getting it to sound good.

Any help is appreciated...could a change in weather/humidity/springtime be to blame? Maybe the wood is drying out or something, causing this string to sit low (the others are fine though)? And is there something I can do myself, or is a trip back to the guitar shop going to be necessary? Many thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by chewwie10
    If this has ever been posted before, my apologies - thought I'd check to see if anyone here has some ideas.

I've got a Gibson SG, bought almost new about 7 years ago. About 2 or 3 weeks back, I started noticing the low E string sounds worse and worse, like its rattling against the first fret when plucked. This has never happened before. Thing is, last November I just took it in to the guitar shop and had everything adjusted, new jacks, etc put in, I let them adjust the bridge and like because I wouldn't know where to start in getting it to sound good.

Any help is appreciated...could a change in weather/humidity/springtime be to blame? Maybe the wood is drying out or something, causing this string to sit low (the others are fine though)? And is there something I can do myself, or is a trip back to the guitar shop going to be necessary? Many thanks!

who's Pearljam. (Bob) should handle this one. It's a common problem. You need a setup adjustment and a truss rod tweak. Weather Humidity time, causes these things, my guess is the luthier set up the guitar lower than it was before. You no doubt have a tune o matic bridge, It could be as simple as a little tweak of the truss rod and a turn or two on that side of the bridge, but definately PM Bob, he would know better than me. My guess is you can fix it yourself.

You didn't by chance change to heavier strings recently did you?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Thanks! I will look into that when I get home tonight.
  • Thanks for the vote of confidence , Paco!

Sometimes it's just a worn set of strings. If they're older, try a new set.

Yeah, winter may have change the neck a little. SG's are a little more flexible than a Les Paul or a strat. Try sighting down the neck in the playing position to see if it is bent a little backward. An exact straight neck sometimes causes a buzz, but usually on a lot of places on the fretboard.

Sometimes when a tech sets up a guitar, they go for the lowest action possible, and you get a buzz. If the neck is straight, or a little bowed forward (relief), and the low string is buzzing, try loosening the strings and raising the bridge a little on the low E side . Remember how much you turned it, and you can always put it back to where it was before. I like my strings a bit high, for bending and better tone overall. If you play hard, you generally want a higher action.

The other possibilities are a worn nut slot, and the string is too close to the 1rst fret. That would mean adding, or reshimming the nut a little higher. That's a job for a tech, and takes some finesse, but not hard.

Good luck!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • Hey, thanks man...I will probably have to check out the worn nut idea...I've got new strings on there, .10s, because I initially thought it could be the old ones I had (they didn't fix it). Last night I put the bridge up a couple turns...it sounds better but still not great, so for the well-being of my guitar, I think I'll have to cash the tax refund and take it to someone who can do what you suggested properly.
    Thanks!