Best Drum Company

Survo-Survo- Posts: 72
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Vote for who you think makes the best drums!

Pearl
Yamaha
Tama
Ludwig
Drum Work Shop
Pacific Drum Co
Sonor
Mapex
Gretsch
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I would like to add:

Brady
    Ayotte
    Maryland Drum Company
    Noble & Cooley

Tama Starclassic Maples are badass though :)
  • Survo-Survo- Posts: 72
    cant add those, they arnt in my survey :-P
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Ayotte, good call...

Add: Pork Pie Percussion and Orange County Percussion.

But out of the original list, DW is the most consistantly good. The rest can all make great drums, especially considering specific styles (i.e. Gretch for jazz, Tama for metal, Yamaha for funk, etc). I'd say Pacific and Mapex are the only two that don't make great high-end stuff, although I give Pacific huge props for making some of the best econo/beginner kits on the market. I play a Sonor, and it suits me just fine.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Survo-Survo- Posts: 72
    i have the pacific FS drums, and they look really nice, and sound great for a beginner kit.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    From what I understand, PDP and DW are related companies. And I reiterate, PDP makes great kits considering their price. I'd put a $400 PDP shellpack next to a $900 Pearl shellpack any day.

Edit: Eureka! From PDP's website:

In 2000, custom drum manufacturer Drum Workshop, Inc. (DW) created a new line of drums called Pacific Drums and Percussion to meet the demand for entry to mid-level players. The line uses some custom techniques, but primarily uses computerized machinery to cut costs and reduce steps to create high-quality drums in large quantities. DW moved most production of Pacific drums to a DW-run factory in Ensenada, Mexico, in 2002. Pacific Drums have now made DW’s innovation and quality available to a larger market, while still maintaining the reputation of DW drums as high-end unique instruments.

“While Pacific kits are high-quality, they’re not high-priced because they’re not custom,” DW Presidant and founder Don Lombardi says. “With Pacific, you’re not so much selling high-end features, as much as you’re selling the opportunity for a person to get into playing drums no matter what their ability level.”
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • dreadheaddreadhead Posts: 64
    tama all the way 4 me- in fact i think i mite go and play on mine now :)-
    "I wish I was Australian at home under the sun" Eddie- Perth 03
  • RolandRoland Posts: 2
    I play on a Yamaha Stage Custom and am currently recording a demo. We had our first recording day today. We have to go back tomorrow at 12:30pm to record more and do over dubs.

In reality DW are the best followed by Pearl because they custom make your drums with high quality shells and hardware. But I would easily play my Yamaha or 'dreadhead's' Tama over them any day. I like playing my personal kit wherever I go.