Learning slide guitar

patw486patw486 Posts: 52
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've decided I'd like to learn how to play slide guitar. I've been playing off and on for a few years, but I never really stick with it long enough to make significant progress. I know a lot of basic techniques and stuff, but I guess I'm probably still considered a beginner. I saw an instructional book on slide by Warren Haynes, but from what I can tell it might not be best suited for someone of my skill level, but I think I can probably deal with it. This is the book I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Warren-Haynes-Guide-Slide-Guitar/dp/1575605244

Does anyone have any experience with this book? Would it be okay to pick up and try to learn, or is there a better alternative? I don't really want to buy several books if there's one that I can get that would teach me a large amount of techniques.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    If you are into bluesy rock (like gov't mule, allman bros, zeppelin, etc,) then Warren's book is great. If you are looking for other styles, then you should look elsewhere.

Another note, Warren's book teaches slide in standard tuning. Its a little harder to learn than an open tuning, but you also don't have to tune your guitar differently every time you want to play slide.
  • patw486patw486 Posts: 52
    Yeah that's one thing I noticed about it. My ear isn't really quite good enough to do that without an electronic tuner.