Y'all wanna see my new baby?

DopeBeastieDopeBeastie Posts: 2,513
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.gibson.com/products/montana/guitars/J-180/j-185.html

<droooooools>

I played the Collings CJ. It, in the final analysis, just couldn't compete. It was new, and the Gibson I bought had been on the wall for three years, so maybe that's why the Gibson won. Boy howdy, it's fucking sweet, though. Mellow and deep and just mmh.... wonderful. And I spent about $1200 less, too. I played lots of Taylors, too. There was this one with a Koa wood back? Dang, she was a pretty one... But not my flavor... in price or in tone.

Good Stuff

Cheers :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• That thing gave me a boner.
    7/10/06
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    they're so cute when they're babies.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    That's fucking beautiful man. I am very very jealous.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Excellent choice. Love the Jumbos. I think House has one too. I've got my heart set on a J160E
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • DopeBeastieDopeBeastie Posts: 2,513
    thanks, guys

I played it out on Saturday and it did very nicely. I do believe I'm set for guitars, now. (I even have a skeleton king sticker on the case ;) )

Now... once my finances recover a bit... I'm going to need other stuff. Maybe an in-ear monitor... some mics. Maybe a board. Maybe something to record...

ahhhhh....

music, sweet music

:D
  • Pretty man. Not personally keen on the shape, but i'll bet it sounds beautiful!
    (
    =) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
    (
  • I might be purchasing a J160E soon, Pac... finances recently took an up-turn... I'm looking at the Epi model (I didn't win the lottery) but I'm excited for the possibility... just need to figure out what kinda acoustic pup to put in to compliment the E/M pup already in it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    I might be purchasing a J160E soon, Pac... finances recently took an up-turn... I'm looking at the Epi model (I didn't win the lottery) but I'm excited for the possibility... just need to figure out what kinda acoustic pup to put in to compliment the E/M pup already in it.

excellent. baggs. Always a good decision.

just for the record I've seen the J160E configuration on a guitar with a fiorenteen (SP) cutaway might be a bit cheaper if you can find it used.

I am hoping Epi Elite will put out that model, I mean really it's just throwing a mag pickup in a Texan.

Good to have you back Dave.

I've been thinking of attempting to get a position with Gibson in their Sales Dept so I can make recommendations such as the above, that and convincing them that everyone who's anyone took those damned plastic "vintage" klusons off thier geetars. Ever seen an original owned by pros who play them without grovers or thier equivalent? Nope? Me niether. See the McCready Burst thread.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    excellent. baggs. Always a good decision.

just for the record I've seen the J160E configuration on a guitar with a fiorenteen (SP) cutaway might be a bit cheaper if you can find it used.

I am hoping Epi Elite will put out that model, I mean really it's just throwing a mag pickup in a Texan.

Good to have you back Dave.

I was thinkin' Baggs Double-Barrel, but I'll be exploring my options. I'd damn near rather get a passive pup and an external preamp/DI and build a second pedalboard for the acoustic system ('verb pedal, maybe a delay, and a volume and tuner). I just hate getting the batteries out of the retro-fit pickup systems.

I assume you mean Florentine...? Like, the Florence-style sharp-horned cutaway? I really don't want a cutaway body, although I'd love a smaller-bodied guitar, like a Martin 00-18 or similar, but with that pickup.

And it's good to be back... maybe not full-time, but I'm around.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    I was thinkin' Baggs Double-Barrel, but I'll be exploring my options. I'd damn near rather get a passive pup and an external preamp/DI and build a second pedalboard for the acoustic system ('verb pedal, maybe a delay, and a volume and tuner). I just hate getting the batteries out of the retro-fit pickup systems.

I assume you mean Florentine...? Like, the Florence-style sharp-horned cutaway? I really don't want a cutaway body, although I'd love a smaller-bodied guitar, like a Martin 00-18 or similar, but with that pickup.

And it's good to be back... maybe not full-time, but I'm around.

I hear you on the passive system.

The fender is almost worn slap out. I'll probably end up with that same Epi.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    PastaNazi wrote:
    http://www.gibson.com/products/montana/guitars/J-180/j-185.html

<droooooools>

I played the Collings CJ. It, in the final analysis, just couldn't compete. It was new, and the Gibson I bought had been on the wall for three years, so maybe that's why the Gibson won. Boy howdy, it's fucking sweet, though. Mellow and deep and just mmh.... wonderful. And I spent about $1200 less, too. I played lots of Taylors, too. There was this one with a Koa wood back? Dang, she was a pretty one... But not my flavor... in price or in tone.

Good Stuff

Cheers :)
    nice to see you going with a Gibson. Best acoustic guitars in my mind. I have a J45 Southern Jumbo. It is absolutely beautiful and plays so easy. It is my baby....

all4