Line 6 Spyder 112 Amp...

?ing my education?ing my education Posts: 313
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey Guys -

I browse this forum frequently but have never posted in here before. I have been playing the guitar for about 3 years now and really don't know much and not very good, well at least in my opinion but ask my wife she has to listen to the racket I make, lol.

I like reading the posts in here because a lot of you are really knowledgeable about guitars and gear in general.

I have a Epiphone Les Paul. I have had it for about 8 months and I love it (the only thing I would like to change are the pick ups but I wouldn't really know where to start).

When I bought the guitar, I also wanted a new amp because the one that I currently had was very small, I think it was a Fender frontman amp or something like that, very small. Anyways, I bought a Line 6 Spyder 112 (mainly because the price was reasonable) and I thought it was kinda cool that it gave 6 different amp settings and had several other features.

I like the amp (it is plenty loud enough) but I just don't know if I like any of the amp settings I get out of it. Granted I am not in a band or looking to be in one so maybe I just got the wrong kind of amp for someone just teaching themselves to play in the privacy of their house.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to see what you very knowledgable folks think about this amp and can suggest in place of it, if any. I am open to spending about $250-$350 for a new amp.

So let me know what you guys think. I would greatly appreciate it!
Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    in that price range, i like the fender pro junior

http://www.music123.com/Fender-Pro-Junior-i12299.music

and the fender blues junior (which is a hair outside the range you gave)

http://www.music123.com/Fender-Blues-Junior-i12300.music

both are vacuum tube amplifiers that should sound warmer than the line6.

give them a try and see if you like them more.
  • Welcome to the board!!!

So some people here have alot of bad things to say about line 6 amps. They also have alot of bad things to say about modeling amps :(

Finally there is a pretty negative vibe towards solid state amps :(

heh heh I make us sound like a bunch of amp nazis.

But yah your amp, and amps like it, sound great in theory but never seem to quite pan out as I understand.

Even the most expensive modeling amps like the Fender cybertwin don't get the thumbs up from alot of people.

I would suggest a very small tube amp. I am one of the lesser knowledgeable people here but I think you can get alot more out of a small tube amp then a huge solid state.

You should take a look at a fender blues junior. They look like a great value and are all tube.

Hope some of this helped
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I vote Pro Jr. at $259 it's really cool and gets plenty loud.

It's a one trick pony but that one trick is really cool. A little tubescreamer or Boss DS-1 in front of it and it's a killer little tube amp. It sounds better than the Blues Jr. to me because I think the reverb on the BJ blows. However I've seen several guys in small bluesy type groups that play Blues jr's out in small clubs all the time, usually they swap the speaker to a classic 30 and the tubes are a little better quality. I like the Pro Jr. as it is anyway but the Blues Jr. is a very good amp as well. Keeping it simple I think often helps in tube amps.

If you want to look in the used area, you might find an older peavy classic 30 for like $299 and another killer amp that dosen't get much props on here, the Ampeg Super Jet. It's essentially the same format as a Blues JR with an added Tremolo circuit. used, it's less than $300

You might also look for a fender Vibro Champ (60's and 70's or Super Champ (80's). The vibro champ being really really cool. Black faces are the oldest silver faces are the younger models. Many are out side of your price range but I see lots of silver faces go for less that $300 and they sound really cool with Les Pauls.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Thanks for the suggestions exhausted and thank you for the welcome MissYouAllDay.

Since I know very little about amps (which is probably why I made a bad purchase in the first place), I am going to look into both of those amps.

MissYouAllDay you worded my thoughts on this amp perfectly by saying "But yah your amp, and amps like it, sound great in theory but never seem to quite pan out as I understand."

It just has not produced any of the sounds that I want to hear.

Oh well, live and learn!

Thanks again for the suggestions.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I vote Pro Jr. at $259 it's really cool and gets plenty loud.

It's a one trick pony but that one trick is really cool. A little tubescreamer or Boss DS-1 in front of it and it's a killer little tube amp.

If you want to look in the used area, you might find an older peavy classic 30 for like $299 and another killer amp that dosen't get much props on here, the Ampeg Super Jet. It's essentially the same format as a Blues JR with an added Tremolo circuit. used, it's less than $300

You might also look for a fender Vibro Champ (60's and 70's or Super Champ (80's). The vibro champ being really really cool. Black faces are the oldest silver faces are the younger models. Many are out side of your price range but I see lots of silver faces go for less that $300 and they sound really cool with Les Pauls.

Hey thanks for the added suggestions Pac79. I appreciate that.

I am willing to spend more if it is going to be worth it and according to your response it may be worth looking into.

The amps that you are suggesting, can they be found at local shops like a Sam Ash or a Guitar Center? I assume they can but just wanted to be sure before I make the trip to check them out.

Thanks again!

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
    yeah, you should call ahead and have a salesperson check the inventory. It might save you a trip. Then again going is half the fun. The used inventory usually varies rapidly. Ebay is probably the best place to go and check prices so you know you aren't getting screwed. It's usually a good tool to check relative value.

Phone numbers can be found at http://www.guitarcenter.com

and http://www.samash.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    check out the peavey classic 30 and or 50's as well, great tube amps for a very good price.
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I am in agreement... Fender Pro Junior, or a used Fender tube amp... Peavey Classic 30 OR Delta Blues 2x10"...

Seems like we've had this conversation before...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Every guitar fan has that revelation sometime right?

It will inevitably happen again and again.

"whats the difference between tube and solid state, which is better? Whats a good 400$ tube amp"

I can hear it now...
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    For those who are interested... This is my buddy's amp for sale...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3712598484&category=38076
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    stone had a several Peavey delta blues on stage in TB2K look behind him next to the SWR California Blonde and the Savage.

Sorry the cheapest Savage is only around 1,700 out of your price

But you can find a used 2x10 delta blues sometimes for around 350. It is an awesome amp for the money.

http://www.savageaudio.com if anyone cares.
  • right now the fender pro junior is on sale at
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com

Check it out.
  • Thanks for all of the great suggestions guys, I appreciate it.

Sorry if I have brought up a subject that has been beat to death but hey I am some what of a newbie to all of this so I am just trying to get good advise from people who seem to know what is going on.

Thanks again!

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
    Originally posted by ?ing my education
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions guys, I appreciate it.

Sorry if I have brought up a subject that has been beat to death but hey I am some what of a newbie to all of this so I am just trying to get good advise from people who seem to know what is going on.

Thanks again!

no worries, it's a favorite subject.