Question About a Metronome

?ing my education?ing my education Posts: 313
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
How exactly does it work? I know that may sound stupid. I understand that it keeps a beat for you while you practice but how do you use it when practicing? Do you change chords each time it "clicks"?

I have been teaching my self to play for the last three years. I always hear and read that a metronome will help with rhythm. So I was thinking about getting one but wanted to be sure exactly how to use it before I make the purchase.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    You can use a metronome in different ways. You CAN move on every beat if you are playing something with a constantly moving, steady part. You can also use it to hold the larger pulse while you play groups of notes. It really just depends on what you are trying to do.

When you first get a metronome, it's a good idea to learn how to use it by trying to play your scales with it. One note per click first, then two notes per click, then three, etc.

P.S. A metronome by itself will not help you with rhythm if you don't know what you're doing to begin with. (In fact, it may just irritate you!) Maybe it's time to go get a teacher?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • KwyjiboKwyjibo Posts: 662
    to me its just like tapping your foot to a song... just keeps your timing so you dont speed up or slow down
    The most remarkable thing about you standing in the doorway, is that its you, and that you're standing in the doorway.

I write down good reasons to freeze to death in my spiral ring notebook. But in the long tresses of your hair--I am a babbling brook.