Gibson SG vs. Epiphone G400 Vintage SG....

?ing my education?ing my education Posts: 313
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have played the Gibson SG a few times and love the way it feels and I love the way it sounds. I got a magazine the other day selling music equipment (American Musical Supply). In it I saw an Epiphone G400 Vintage SG. I have never played this guitar and to me it looked no different than the Gibson SG. It was about $300 cheaper.

I have only been playing for a few years and I am by no means an expert on guitars. I don't play in a band and don't plan on it. I just play at the house and with friends from time to time. To me I see no huge difference between the two. What would the diffences be?

I am just trying to decide if it is worth spending $300-$400 more dollars or not. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    I would go by how good the feel of the guitar is to you. I bought a cheaper version of the gibson sg for about six hundred. It wasn't the epiphone version, it was still a gibson, and it kicked ass. But, if you've got the cash to dish out on the other i'd go for it. Plus, if you want, you could just buy different pickups to be put into the guitar (i'm going to buy the toni iommi ones it makes a world of difference). I'd buy the gibson personally.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • which gibson sg?

ive played

SG Faded Special
    SG Special
    SG Standard

i have the SG SPecial in Teal

i never played the G-400 but ive seen it
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • which gibson sg?

ive played

SG Faded Special
    SG Special
    SG Standard

i never played the G-400 but ive seen it

It was the SG Faded Special.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • It was the SG Faded Special.

get the SG Faded SPecial, fucking amazing, its worth it believe me
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    If you can find a used Guild S-100, you'll never look at an SG the same way again.

Just my humble opinion :)
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    If you weren't already aware, Epiphone is owned by Gibson, so their versions of Gibson guitars are actually licensed and official. And they use the same designs exactly, not just a look-alike.

Epiphone uses some lesser-grade wood, lesser-grade electronics, and sometimes lesser-grade hardware (tuners, bridge, etc). HOWEVER... many new Epi models are VERY well-constructed. Some of them use Gibson USA electronics, others use Korean-made versions. Some have top-notch hardware, even better than some Gibsons.

Ultimately, every guitar is different. Some come off the factory line great, some come off shitty. This is just as true of Epiphone as Gibson. Gibson used to have an advantage in that they had better quality-control, but they've really let that go in the last few years. After all, people are paying crazy prices for new Gibsons just to have that name on the headstock... why have more expenses for quality control when people are still buying?

So, I'd just play a few Epi's and a few Gibson's, if there's a shop near you that has both. Try to be your own quality-control... look at the fret dressing, the fit and finish, the neck curve, the hardware, everything. You'll find some Epi's that look perfect, and some Gibsons that have obvious flaws. I saw a $4000 Gibson J-200 acoustic at a shop here with an off-center crooked truss-rod cover. Bullshit.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • If you weren't already aware, Epiphone is owned by Gibson, so their versions of Gibson guitars are actually licensed and official. And they use the same designs exactly, not just a look-alike.

Epiphone uses some lesser-grade wood, lesser-grade electronics, and sometimes lesser-grade hardware (tuners, bridge, etc). HOWEVER... many new Epi models are VERY well-constructed. Some of them use Gibson USA electronics, others use Korean-made versions. Some have top-notch hardware, even better than some Gibsons.

Ultimately, every guitar is different. Some come off the factory line great, some come off shitty. This is just as true of Epiphone as Gibson. Gibson used to have an advantage in that they had better quality-control, but they've really let that go in the last few years. After all, people are paying crazy prices for new Gibsons just to have that name on the headstock... why have more expenses for quality control when people are still buying?

So, I'd just play a few Epi's and a few Gibson's, if there's a shop near you that has both. Try to be your own quality-control... look at the fret dressing, the fit and finish, the neck curve, the hardware, everything. You'll find some Epi's that look perfect, and some Gibsons that have obvious flaws. I saw a $4000 Gibson J-200 acoustic at a shop here with an off-center crooked truss-rod cover. Bullshit.

Yes I am aware that Gibson owns Epiphone. I have an Epi Les Paul and I love it. I was at the Guitar Center in town yesterday and I went to see if they had the Epi verison of the SG but they did not. The other music store in town is Sam Ash and they aren't carrying Gibson's in that store any more.

I think I might go back down to the Guitar Center and take another look around, I might have missed the Epi's if they were there. Of course when I asked one of the guy's there if there was a big difference between the two, he made it sound like there is a huge difference and that I should definitely go with the Gibson. I also know he was trying to make a sale.

Thanks for the suggestions, greatly appreciated.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • eCioeCio Posts: 23
    I played a SG Faded Special a few days ago, I wans't very impressed with the overall quality of the guitar, i've heard that with this series it is a different story with each guitar, but the one i've played although sounding good was a little rough on the quality of the guitar itself.

This was my first experience with a SG and I feel it doesn't even come close to my Gibson L6S-Deluxe in terms of comfort and playablity
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    ad_rock wrote:
    dude save for a les paul. everybody i know with gibbo sg's wishes they'd got a decent second hand les paul or saved for a new one. sg's are alright and they look the buisness, but to my hands they dont feel as well made as any fender and dont sound as good as a les paul.

i disagree as an owner of both an LP and an SG. they both have their strengths and i couldn't choose one over the other. but it's all personal taste.

anyway, he already owns an LP.
  • Thanks for all of the replies and comments. I am still debating on it.

I am almost ready to buy the SG but I have a friend who had one and he said that he loved his but that he did have one issue with it. It was keeping it in tune. He said that he would get it tuned up and then jam on it for a while and as he would move chords up and down the neck the guitar would not stay in tune.

Is this something that is common among SG's? Has anyone else heard of this? And if this is the case, is there a fix for it?

Thanks again for helping me make this decision!

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Thanks for all of the replies and comments. I am still debating on it.

I am almost ready to buy the SG but I have a friend who had one and he said that he loved his but that he did have one issue with it. It was keeping it in tune. He said that he would get it tuned up and then jam on it for a while and as he would move chords up and down the neck the guitar would not stay in tune.

Is this something that is common among SG's? Has anyone else heard of this? And if this is the case, is there a fix for it?

Thanks again for helping me make this decision!

SG's are notorious for tuning instability.

Locking tuning machines, and lubricants can help, as well as changing the nut to a slicker material like graphite.

The plusses of an SG, far outweigh tuning instability.

All guitars go out of tune. Swapping the original "vintage" (in this sense read poorly designed cheap crap that gibson installs becuase it looks right and it's dirt cheap) klusons for some better tuners like grovers, or hell locking vintage Klusons or sperzels what have you whatever your brand will greatly enhance your playing pleasure.

changing the bridge to tonepros also has a positive effect sometimes. Graphtech makes graphite saddles for TOM bridges like that that cut down on string breakage and tuning problems as well.

check out http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners.html

http://www.graphtech.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Just to add my 2 cents, MIG gave me some great advice when I was in the Epiphone vs. Gibson predicament just a few weeks ago.

I was looking for a Dot, and he suggested I check out the Epiphone Elite. Not only was this guitar absolutely brilliant, but, and get this:

It was BETTER than the Gibson (in feel mainly, but also sound, and construction), CHEAPER (by over a THOUSAND dollars no less).

Well I guess my point is try both, but if the only thing deterring you is the name, then go with the Epiphone. You will NOT be disappointed.
    WE'RE FAITHFULL
    WE ALL BELIEVE
    WE ALL BELIEVE IT
    i still don't have tuning issues with mine. stock. and i play it a lot.
    exhausted wrote:
    i still don't have tuning issues with mine. stock. and i play it a lot.

yeah sure, there's always some kid that breaks the stereotype.

you probably like restringing the Ric and 12 strings too right? :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah sure, there's always some kid that breaks the stereotype.

you probably like restringing the Ric and 12 strings too right? :D

i restring that thing once a year. i hate it. i've restrung my taylor 12 maybe once since i quit gigging 3 years ago. yay elixirs.
    exhausted wrote:
    i restring that thing once a year. i hate it. i've restrung my taylor 12 maybe once since i quit gigging 3 years ago. yay elixirs.

I remember the "retail ready" fire and ice management walk through Guitar Center in 2000.

I was there till 4 am, polishing and restringing all the guitars on the wall. I have nightmares about 12 strings to this day. Especially Rickenbackers.
  • Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I knew I could get some good direction from the great people on this board.

Thanks again!

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
    Well I guess my point is try both, but if the only thing deterring you is the name, then go with the Epiphone. You will NOT be disappointed.

My next guitar is probably going to be an Epiphone J-160E acoustic-electric (the John Lennon model). It sells for $550. The Gibson version sells for $1900. Screw that, I can spend $1350 on new tuners, a proper setup, a new nut, and a second electric system (probably a Schatten, http://www.schattendesign.com/acoustic-index.htm). That'll leave me with about $1000. And I'll have a hell of a lot better guitar.
    My next guitar is probably going to be an Epiphone J-160E acoustic-electric (the John Lennon model). It sells for $550. The Gibson version sells for $1900. Screw that, I can spend $1350 on new tuners, a proper setup, a new nut, and a second electric system (probably a Schatten, http://www.schattendesign.com/acoustic-index.htm). That'll leave me with about $1000. And I'll have a hell of a lot better guitar.

I've been looking at exactly the same one, well, that and the masterbuilt jumbo too. The magnetic pickup is very tempting. You could get a nice tube preamp DI for it too and still be golden.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I've been looking at exactly the same one, well, that and the masterbuilt jumbo too. The magnetic pickup is very tempting. You could get a nice tube preamp DI for it too and still be golden.

My plan is to install an acoustic system in addition to the magnetic pickup. That way, I could use one or the other, or both. Run the magnetic into my pedalboard and amp, and run the acoustic pup into a DI. It would give me a lot of options, especially at a gig.

What I'd really love to get would be one of those old Martin D-18E's:

http://www.kurtsequipment.com/pictures/kurtmartin.jpg

But they're about impossible to find, and hella expensive when you do find them.
    My plan is to install an acoustic system in addition to the magnetic pickup. That way, I could use one or the other, or both. Run the magnetic into my pedalboard and amp, and run the acoustic pup into a DI. It would give me a lot of options, especially at a gig.

But they're about impossible to find, and hella expensive when you do find them.

Yeah, I asked David Geffen personally if he would buy one for me....he said no.

:D

and as an added bonus, they sound like shit.
    exhausted wrote:
    and as an added bonus, they sound like shit.

Oh, stop. Some of us (ME) kinda like the sound.

Pacomc79 wrote:
    Yeah, I asked David Geffen personally if he would buy one for me....he said no.

He wouldn't buy me Ledbelly's guitar, either, so I guess we're even.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415

That's the one I'm planning to get, did you keep the pickups stock? I'm planning to put P-90's in right away.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    He wouldn't buy me Ledbelly's guitar, either, so I guess we're even.

Nice kurt reference.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
    WiLL75 wrote:
    Nice kurt reference.

Paco started it...