Big Muff Pi Fuzz

?ing my education?ing my education Posts: 313
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anybody have one of these? What are your thoughts/opinions? I have thought about getting one but not sure. I have a Line 6 Spider 112 amp and a Wah pedal, that's it. Would like to add something else but not sure what to add.

I would actually like to get a tube amp but I don't play in a band or anything, just jam at the house and with some friends. Any suggestions on amps for someone like me?

Feedback, negative or positive, is always appreciated.
Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    amp: fender blues jr. check one out.

big muff pi. it's a cool sound but it only does the one trick. and it decimates any character your guitar had. it doesn't matter what you play into that thing.

i prefered the older russian ones. even the black boxed one with the yellow letters.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    exhausted wrote:
    amp: fender blues jr. check one out.

big muff pi. it's a cool sound but it only does the one trick. and it decimates any character your guitar had. it doesn't matter what you play into that thing.

i prefered the older russian ones. even the black boxed one with the yellow letters.

yep but it does the one trick pretty good, there are literally dozens of clones out there, and some of them are really worth looking into if you want that muff sound.
    These are new.........
    The ICBM Fuzz NEW!
    You may have heard that for a period of time in the 1970's, Electro-Harmonix changed the circuit of their legendary Big Muff Pi* from one based on discrete transistors to one based on integrated circuit operational amplifiers. This is true.

As a matter of fact, the opamp Big Muff Pi was the first fuzzbox I ever fell in love with, back in 1983. I didn't know that it was an opamp one until I bought my own Big Muff and thought it sounded different from my friend's. His later needed repair, and when I opened the case to check it out, I saw that the printed circuit board had a pair of integrated circuits on it, where mine had transistors.

Over the next 20 years, I never again encountered a Big Muff Pi made with opamps. Mike Matthews of E-H went out of business a couple of times, then got into the vacuum tube business, started making Big Muffs again, and then launched a new Electro-Harmonix with a mix of historical E-H effects and new ones. Still no opamp Big Muff Pi.

I myself started building and selling effects, helped greatly by the information available on the www, but when I tried building opamp Big Muffs from the schematics I found on the web, they didn't work. Finally, I got my hands on an actual unit, and sat down with it to see if I could learn its secrets and make my own.

Musictoyz.com Price $134.95
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    I've got one from the 70's that my Dad used when he was playing before he got married. I use it for recording or jamming, but I've never broke it out on stage. I like it, but it does have its own sound, that classic fuzz sound. If thats what you're going for, it really can't be beat. I don't know about the new ones though, like I said this one is from before my time.
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Ask yourself one question: Do you want to sound like Billy Corgan?

Because anything played on a Big Muff sounds like Billy Corgan.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Ask yourself one question: Do you want to sound like Billy Corgan?

Because anything played on a Big Muff sounds like Billy Corgan.

LOL
    Happy 4/20 MIG !!!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    JofZ wrote:
    Happy 4/20 MIG !!!

How's the Vette treating you?

Back to the original question... I'd say stick with your Line 6. If you want a small tube amp, the Blues Jr. is a great suggestion (as is a used Peavey Classic 20).
  • Thanks for the suggestions and opinions. Don't think I want to sound like Billy Corgan, I was thinking for along the lines of the guitar sounds from the 70's.

I think I will check out the Fender Blues Jr.

Thanks again.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Thanks for the suggestions and opinions. Don't think I want to sound like Billy Corgan, I was thinking for along the lines of the guitar sounds from the 70's.

I think I will check out the Fender Blues Jr.

Thanks again.

you can get cool 70's sounds with the big muff.

look up some silicon based fuzz effects that's probably the sound you're after. Also the MXR distortion+ and Pro Co Rat should be up your alley.

unless it's zepplin, in that case look up Tonebenders.

there are tons of ways to go depending on the sound you're after.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    you can get cool 70's sounds with the big muff.

look up some silicon based fuzz effects that's probably the sound you're after. Also the MXR distortion+ and Pro Co Rat should be up your alley.

unless it's zepplin, in that case look up Tonebenders.

there are tons of ways to go depending on the sound you're after.

Cool. Thanks for the suggestions Pac. I think that is my problem is there is just too many choices! I don't personally know anyone who has used the big muff and none of the stores around here carry one, so I haven't been able to check it out for myself and see if that is what I am really looking for. AHHH, too many choices....hurting my brain!!!

Man, I was just checking out the Fender Blues Jr Amp someone suggested earlier. It looks like a sweet amp for someone like me who just jams at the house or with some friends. The reviews on the the amp were outstanding. Really tempting with the price too, under $400!!! I almost can't pass that up!

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Cool. Thanks for the suggestions Pac. I think that is my problem is there is just too many choices! I don't personally know anyone who has used the big muff and none of the stores around here carry one, so I haven't been able to check it out for myself and see if that is what I am really looking for. AHHH, too many choices....hurting my brain!!!

Man, I was just checking out the Fender Blues Jr Amp someone suggested earlier. It looks like a sweet amp for someone like me who just jams at the house or with some friends. The reviews on the the amp were outstanding. Really tempting with the price too, under $400!!! I almost can't pass that up!

yeah it's a cool amp.

http://www.buzzfox.com has some sound clips.

also the european site http://www.custom-sounds.com has some good clips of BJFE effects and Roger Mayer stuff. this should help you figure out what you are looking for.

the classic (blue) rocket is germanium.

The axis fuzz (orange) is silicon

http://www.tonefactor.com

http://www.pedalgeek.com

and http://www.musictoyz.com are good places to shop and look for stuff.

then of course http://www.harmony-central.com and the effects database.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.

Especially with a new speaker and some better tubes. It's a pretty good amp, and I've seen more than a few of them on stage (even with arena bands!).

I second Paco's recommendation of a ProCo Rat. That's a classic sound, right there. Also, the SansAmp Classic.