Best way to get rid of some gear....

?ing my education?ing my education Posts: 313
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I am thinking about getting rid of some gear that I have. Not sure the best way to go about it though. I have a Line 6 Spyder 112 Amp that I have had for about 3 years. I also have a Epiphone Les Paul, which I have had for about 2-3 years. Both have just been played at the house. I am not in a band and I don't gig. I play several times a week.

What is your thoughts on the best way to get rid of this gear? Take it to a store, ebay, newspaper ad, etc?

Thanks for any input.
Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    If you're looking to upgrade, trading in might work well, but only if you work with a shop that won't try to cheat you out of your gear.

Selling outright, however... if you have an alternative paper in your town, I'd put an ad in for a week or two and see if you get bites. You could also look for used-instrument stores or musician-friendly pawn shops where you could put it up on consignment. However, the cheap and easy fix is eBay. Might not get full value for it, but if you list it right and don't ask too much, it'll sell in 7 days. The big question there is whether you've got a good eBay feedback rating, especially as a seller... people are aprehensive about buying items like that from an unproven source on eBay.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    put it outside with a sign that says "free"
  • Thanks for the input. If I took it in to upgrade, what do you think would be fair for those two items. I think I paid about $400-$500 each, 3-4 years ago. Just trying to get an idea. I have thought about taking it in to upgrade but my wife sells a lot on ebay and I thought about going that route also.

If you're looking to upgrade, trading in might work well, but only if you work with a shop that won't try to cheat you out of your gear.

Selling outright, however... if you have an alternative paper in your town, I'd put an ad in for a week or two and see if you get bites. You could also look for used-instrument stores or musician-friendly pawn shops where you could put it up on consignment. However, the cheap and easy fix is eBay. Might not get full value for it, but if you list it right and don't ask too much, it'll sell in 7 days. The big question there is whether you've got a good eBay feedback rating, especially as a seller... people are aprehensive about buying items like that from an unproven source on eBay.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Since it's a bit older, and digital, the Spyder probably isn't worth much. They're decent amps, but in my experience, they don't hold their value. I'd say about $150 trade-in value, if it's in good shape. The guitar is a bit better off, I'd say $200-250, assuming it's an LP Standard or Studio (not a flattop) and in good shape.

I'd just take them into a shop, preferably the one you bought them from originally (unless that's not possible, or they're jerks) tell them you're looking to trade up, and see what they'd give you.

The one thing I'd recommend is to watch some auctions on eBay for items like yours and see what they're selling for. I do this occasionally if I'm in the market for something or am looking to sell, just to see what an average market price is for certain used gear.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Cool. Thanks for the advice mccreadyisgod!

Since it's a bit older, and digital, the Spyder probably isn't worth much. They're decent amps, but in my experience, they don't hold their value. I'd say about $150 trade-in value, if it's in good shape. The guitar is a bit better off, I'd say $200-250, assuming it's an LP Standard or Studio (not a flattop) and in good shape.

I'd just take them into a shop, preferably the one you bought them from originally (unless that's not possible, or they're jerks) tell them you're looking to trade up, and see what they'd give you.

The one thing I'd recommend is to watch some auctions on eBay for items like yours and see what they're selling for. I do this occasionally if I'm in the market for something or am looking to sell, just to see what an average market price is for certain used gear.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream