Orange Amps

?ing my education?ing my education Posts: 313
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone ever plugged in to one of these? What do you know about them? Are they good amps?

I have looked at them online but I can't find anyone local who might carry one to give it a test run. I hate to purchase something online before trying it out. They are a bit high in price but I would be willing to pay it if I knew they were worth it.

Any opinions?

Thanks.
Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Very nice amps. The ultimate British Class A amp. A friend of mine has a half stack with the AD140 and their 4 x 12 cabinet. Very loud but still has amazing clarity even when fully distorted. He gigs and tours pretty often and has never had any problems.
  • Check with Pacomc79 (he has one and loves it) or do a search in this forum. You'll be wiser soon enough.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I do own one, for history check out http://www.matamp.co.uk or http://www.orangeamps.com

I own the AD15/12 bought before it was discontinued. It is a very well built amp with excellent british EL84 tone.

In the range all are very well built and extremely loud. I loved the compact size of the AD15 but I'd like to have a closed back extension cab now too. If I had it to do again I'd probably get an AD30 Head but the size and volume really is perfect, I think I miss a little headroom, but my neighbors sure don't.

THe AD140's will take walls down.

The custom shop retro 50 is amazing and damn near perfect. Orange cabinets are legendary for tone.

The new rockerverb is more of Oranges attempt to say hip with the indy crowd allowing more available gain.

The twin channels are supposed to be like two distinct AD amps one with less gain one with more, but I haven't plugged one in to tell you, the reviews are good though.

If you have the scrilla, I suggest looking hard at Matamp because that's a full build to order custom shop.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pac - Did you order yours or did you buy it at a store? I can't seem to find them to test one out. Did you test yours out before you bought it?

I have had my eye on the Orange Rocker 30 Amp. I am not in a band or anything so it would be for home use and getting together with friends every once in a while.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Omar Rodriguez Lopez from the Mars Volta tours with Orange Amps. He has a cool tone which, like stated in this thread...maintains clarity even when very distorted. Pretty cool.
    Pac - Did you order yours or did you buy it at a store? I can't seem to find them to test one out. Did you test yours out before you bought it?

I have had my eye on the Orange Rocker 30 Amp. I am not in a band or anything so it would be for home use and getting together with friends every once in a while.

I bought it from Atlanta Discount Music here in Atlanta. They can be tough to find which tends to be a good thing quality wise. If you can't find one Email Jason off the Orange site (he's really busy it may take a while to get a response) and see if there's any stores that carry them in your area, if not bitch about it. :D.

The orange message board might help too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Cool. I am in Charlotte, so I would drive to Atlanta if I have too. It only takes about three hours. Atlanta Discount Music...where is that in Atlanta? I have only been there a few times (each time to see a show) and each time, I was in the Buckhead area.

Thanks for the info (as always).

Pacomc79 wrote:
    I bought it from Atlanta Discount Music here in Atlanta. They can be tough to find which tends to be a good thing quality wise. If you can't find one Email Jason off the Orange site (he's really busy it may take a while to get a response) and see if there's any stores that carry them in your area, if not bitch about it. :D.

The orange message board might help too.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
    Cool. I am in Charlotte, so I would drive to Atlanta if I have too. It only takes about three hours. Atlanta Discount Music...where is that in Atlanta? I have only been there a few times (each time to see a show) and each time, I was in the Buckhead area.

Thanks for the info (as always).

I'd be happy to board you if I'm in town.

It's on Peachtree Industrial Blvd. (across from Lowes, just on a small side street (peachtree rd) directly across the st in a small purple building) I know for a fact they have a few rocker 30's in stock.

They have wierd hours. 12-6 but I'm not sure of the days.

I think it's http://www.atlantadiscountmusic.com

http://www.midtownmusic.com occasionally has some used Oranges as does Guitar Center 761 on I 85 just ask for my buddy Jason. GC now has Diezel amps.

Midtown Music carries about every brand that Atlanta Discount dosent. Oh and it's good to call ahead, they used to be kind of dicks about it. Good, that they don't let everyone come in and ruin stuff like GC though. When they say new they mean new.
  • Fantastic! The info is greatly appreciated. I have an open weekend coming up and I just might have to drive down for the day.

Thanks again for the info.

Pacomc79 wrote:
    I'd be happy to board you if I'm in town.

It's on Peachtree Industrial Blvd. (across from Lowes, just on a small side street (peachtree rd) directly across the st in a small purple building) I know for a fact they have a few rocker 30's in stock.

They have wierd hours. 12-6 but I'm not sure of the days.

I think it's http://www.atlantadiscountmusic.com

http://www.midtownmusic.com occasionally has some used Oranges as does Guitar Center 761 on I 85 just ask for my buddy Jason. GC now has Diezel amps.

Midtown Music carries about every brand that Atlanta Discount dosent. Oh and it's good to call ahead, they used to be kind of dicks about it. Good, that they don't let everyone come in and ruin stuff like GC though. When they say new they mean new.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
    Fantastic! The info is greatly appreciated. I have an open weekend coming up and I just might have to drive down for the day.

Thanks again for the info.

no prob, happy to help.
  • I want the AD30R sooooooo fuckin bad!!!!!!! perfect for me 2x12 30 watts, orange tone....too expensive though :(
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Dammit! That is exactly what I am interested in. Might have to contact the guy....if someone has already beaten me to it!

Pacomc79 wrote:

-from "n.s.u." by Cream