ANOTHER thread about pick up suggestions......

?ing my education?ing my education Posts: 313
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Yes....yet another thread about this. I am sure some of you are sick of these but your opinions are appreciated....so here goes....

I am looking for some replacement pick up suggestions to enhance the sound of my guitars. I have a Epiphone Les Paul Classic currently with open-coil Humbuckers and a Gibson SG Special with 490R and 490T Alnico Magnet Humbuckers. I play more in the style of blues/rock.

I am looking for suggestions more for the Epi than the SG. I am looking for something that will really make my guitar sound sweet through my new Fender Blues Jr!! They already sound damn good through it but you know when you have some money to burn.....

So lets here it!
Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the only true humbucker experience i have is with the gibson 57 classics.

i put a set into a epi dot and it was a nice step up in tone. just nice, full and rich sounding.

then of course there are myriad choices from the boutique pickup makers that others here will have more experience with.

all depends on how much you want to spend too.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    depends on how much money you want to spend and what sound you want. I know the SG special sounds great through a blues Jr. with those pickups.

The Epi, you could go a myriad of ways, do you have any specific idea of tones you wish it could get you? Brighter, more punch, more high end more low end etc?

http://www.projectguitar.com/ref/pickup.htm

look around here and see if you can find something that looks and sounds what you might like.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I like the Seymour Duncans too.

Here's a few from their vintage line.
    These are really nice pickups.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/humbuckersdescr.shtml#59153Model
    The Seymour Duncan site has tons of information on it, too.

Like Exhausted say, it depends what you want to spend.
    Duncans range around $70 - $80 each new, which is a reasonable price and will sound a lot different and more clear than the stock epi ones. .

It also depends on your ear and how refined you want to get. One of those sets will get you great sound.

There are so many boutique ones out there, and they cost, too. You'll definitely hear a big improvement going from the Epi's to the Duncans. You may or may not hear a huge improvement from a Duncan to the boutique ones.

I really like Lindy Fralin pickups, too. They run about $120 each and you can get all kinds of custom wound options. If you don't like them, you can send them back for a different set, too. Good guys there.

I took a set of high end pickups off a guitar I sent to Neenerbean. The ones I put on hers were Seymour Duncan 59's. I thought they sounded better than the boutique ones!
    Most humbuckers come with four wires so you can split the coils, which you might consider doing! It just takes a push pull control knob and a bit more fancier wiring and you have a lot of new sound options!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I like the Pearly Gates and Pearly Gates+

Duncan actually has some they sell as sets too.

For most people the PAF's and 59 varieties are the benchmarks I think.

If you want P90 sound in the humbucker slot the Z90's from Harmonic Design are nice, and they are about 85 bucks.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I do like the way my SG currently sounds through the Blues Jr, so I will probably keep it the way it is. I am kind of going more for that warmer, fatter sound from the Epi. I read of few descriptions on the Seymour Duncan website. I like the descriptions of the pearly gates and the custom custom as a combination in the Epi. What do you guys think?

Any idea how much these run? It looks like I might be able to check them out at GC, I have to go by there today after work anyways.

Thanks for the suggestions! As usual you guys rawk!
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Usually about 70 - 80 bucks. Probably a bit more at guitar center, but that's the range.
    Be kind, man

That's not too bad....I would be willing to spend up to $100 each. Is installation of these expensive? I wish I could do it myself but I don't know jack about that kind of stuff!

Thanks again!

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
    oh, damn wrong pickup thread. You should be able to get most of the Seymour Duncan regular line for less than 100 a piece.

http://instruments.search.ebay.com/Suhr_Guitar_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR8QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ3858

oh and Suhr's from acme sets at under 200.
  • I have Paul Reed Smith pickups in my Epiphone Les Paul Custom.

A Vintage Bass in the neck, which is like the name says, bassy, but it also has an airy quality to it. I really like it because I often split the coil in this position and it sounds great a a single coil.

I have a HFS in the bridge. This stands for 'Hot Fat and Screams'. That basically sums up the pup. It is definately hot, I can vouch for that.

I'm not sure as to how much they run for now, but when I got them 3 years ago, I remember them being a bit above average for price.
  • That's not too bad....I would be willing to spend up to $100 each. Is installation of these expensive? I wish I could do it myself but I don't know jack about that kind of stuff!

Thanks again!

Print this and take it to guitar center tonight.
    They'll go " :( "

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/navigation?q=seymour%20duncan%20pickups&src=00630

maybe you can work a deal to have them install them to get nearer that price, or try a local music shop.
    Figure about 50 - 100 bucks with the push pull pot and all.
    Be kind, man

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/navigation?q=seymour%20duncan%20pickups&src=00630

maybe you can work a deal to have them install them to get nearer that price, or try a local music shop.
    Figure about 50 - 100 bucks with the push pull pot and all.

HAHAHA! Hell with GC, I think I might just go with musiciansfriend!!

What might be the better combo:

Pearly Gates and Custom Custom

or

SH-1 '59 and SH-2 Jazz

Huh?

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • HAHAHA! Hell with GC, I think I might just go with musiciansfriend!!

What might be the better combo:

Pearly Gates and Custom Custom

or

SH-1 '59 and SH-2 Jazz

Huh?

I don't know much about the custom custom but it sounds like a brighter pickup. If your guitar is treble spunding then it might be too bright.

The Pearly Gates in the bridge, and the Jazz in the neck would sound good, but the 59 neck would be good too.
    The Jazz would be for more clean and articulate playing but will rock out.
    The 59 will rock out nicely and not be as articulate and clean soundin as the Jazz.

Two 59's sound great, too. Read the write ups on the duncan page and you can hear some samples, too.

:cool:
    Be kind, man

Thanks!

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    thread about pick up suggestions...... ??

Okay, here's a pickup tip...Don't use this line: I like peanut butter, wanna F*ck!
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • nailz100 wrote:
    thread about pick up suggestions...... ??

Okay, here's a pickup tip...Don't use this line: I like peanut butter, wanna F*ck!

Or....

"Hey, lets go fuck like bunnies until the morning."

True story, bad consequences...

:D
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    *Lick finger and touch her shirt*...."lets get you out of these wet clothes"
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
    Based on the feedback that I am getting, I think I am going to get the 59 and drop it in the neck and get the Pearly Gate and drop it in the bridge. How do you think that would sound?

Thanks!

That would be the Dogs Balls I thinks.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    That would be the Dogs Balls I thinks.

I would take that as being a bad move? What combination do you suggest Pac?

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
    I would take that as being a bad move? What combination do you suggest Pac?

NO that's a great move. That' a perfect match. A 59Neck and a Pearly Gates at the bridge is a very nice combo. Should be a big classic Les Paul tone.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    NO that's a great move. That' a perfect match. A 59Neck and a Pearly Gates at the bridge is a very nice combo. Should be a big classic Les Paul tone.

Cool! I am glad because I already bought them! I hope to have them put in over the weekend. Wish I could do it myself but 1) don't know how 2) wouldn't have the tools anyways.

"Would be the dogs balls..." I have never heard that term before. Thanks Pac.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Pacomc79 wrote:

Sooooooo.......after about a week and half, I finally got my Epi Les Paul back with the new PUP's dropped in (Duncan 59 in the neck and Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge) and WOW! What a difference they made in the sound and presence of the guitar. I didn't really know how much of a difference it would make but it sure did and for the better!! Thought it was worth a mention!

Everyone have a great weekend!!

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Save your cash and buy these:

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

they are the best pickups in the world IMO.

I've just dropped one in my bridge (Crawler) and it is friggin god like. lots of harmonic detail, never gets mushy or muddy no matter how much gain you slap on it.

Duncans dont even compare. (machine wound) these are hand made & scatter wound.
    they have a large range too.
    sure they are pricey, but you will never take them out. Alot of work goes into these pups

If you're not sure go to Harmony Central and read reveiws.

***oops, you could always ebay em:-)
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
    Sooooooo.......after about a week and half, I finally got my Epi Les Paul back with the new PUP's dropped in (Duncan 59 in the neck and Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge) and WOW! What a difference they made in the sound and presence of the guitar. I didn't really know how much of a difference it would make but it sure did and for the better!! Thought it was worth a mention!

Everyone have a great weekend!!

cool, are they covered, or double black or cream and black?
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    cool, are they covered, or double black or cream and black?

Thanks, they are double black, I think covered would have been cool but they didn't have them when I was looking.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
    Thanks, they are double black, I think covered would have been cool but they didn't have them when I was looking.

you can buy covers if you want, and the same tech can soldier them on for you if you want.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    you can buy covers if you want, and the same tech can soldier them on for you if you want.

No shit. I was wondering that the other day. I just might do that.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    No shit. I was wondering that the other day. I just might do that.

For some reason I just prefer the look of the covers as opposed to the open coils. Personal preference I guess. But I asked about this while I was debating buying an SG with open coils.
  • moster78 wrote:
    For some reason I just prefer the look of the covers as opposed to the open coils. Personal preference I guess. But I asked about this while I was debating buying an SG with open coils.

I prefer the look of the covers too. When I went to buy my new PUP's they didn't have them with the covers. But it's good to know that they can be added. My SG has open coils too. I hope to replace them someday.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream