Buying Gear from eBay

?ing my education?ing my education Posts: 313
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am always checking posts and I see several people who have bought gear through eBay.

I wanted to ask....how was it? Anyone bought a guitar or amp specifically? I am a little suspicious. I have been looking for both but don't really know what to look for to make sure I make a good buy if I decide to go for it. Any advice?

One other question....US made guitars....are they really that much better than a guitar made in Mexico or Japan? I have been looking at Telecasters. There is an obvious price difference between guitars from all three places. Can someone explain to me what I am paying for?

Thanks!
Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I bought my main guitar from ebay....But then again, I kind of knew the guy from the harmony-central forums...
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • There are two inherent problems with buying off eBay...

1. Can't play before you buy. Each guitar, even the same model from the same factory, is a little different, and over the years (depending on how they're cared for) they age much differently. Some are exactly your style, some are completely inappropriate. If you know what you're looking for, you can do okay, but you'll always have some doubt until it's in your hands.

2. Has to be shipped. Shipping, especially this time of year when temperatures and humidity can vary widely across the globe, can affect the guitar dramatically. And depending on how it's treated during it's trip and how it was packaged, damage can occur. I was on the bad end of an eBay deal, as the seller, when an Ibanez ArtCore guitar got dropped *hard* on the headstock and broke the 'stock off. The shipper will refund the money if you know how to present your case and you're persistant, but they don't want to pay up and it takes a long time.

Amps are slightly better, although amps can vary a little (beware of Marshalls!) and can suffer minor bumps during shipping. I'm more inclined to trust an amp via eBay than a guitar, though.

The biggest thing is to do a lot of research and know what you want before you bid. Watch a few items similar to what you want before you bid, so you know what a reasonable bid is. Beware of snipers, too. Pay attention to eBay ratings, and read a few feedback reviews before you pledge any money. It doesn't cost you anything to read up before you place a bid, but it can cost you if you don't know what you're getting into.

If you have any specific questions, post a link to the item here and we'll let you know if we smell a lemon.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • i agree with MIG.

i bought my 1971 Carlsbro tube amp from ebay, but the gut who sold it actually had a music shop and it was in there when i picked it up.

always check out the sellers feedback. dunno if i would trust shipping on a tube amp. trust your instincts.

i also got the matching 4x12 cab from ebay too and got that delivered.
    it was old but perfect working order.
    just be careful and keep your eyes peeled for similair products.
    i dont think i could trust a guitar being shipped, i would certainly play before i bought it, if the seller was within driving distance.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • i would only buy effects from ebay.... and maybe an amp, but never a guitar.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Yeah, I am very suspicious of buying a guitar or amp online. That is why I wanted to ask first. I may just keep it looking at amps and stick to getting a guitar in the store.

Thanks for your advice/opinions!
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • nick1977nick1977 Posts: 327
    I bought my guitar from e-bay. I too was a bit hesitant. But, I found the guitar on e-bay for a great price. I went to a local dealer and played several guitars of the same make and model, and loved them all. By that time, the auction had ended, so I called the dealer direct and negotiated a deal with him. I paid by credit card, and the guitar arrived the following week!

I have absolutely loved it.

Here is my advice....if you find a guitar you like, play several guitars of the same make and model to see if they play pretty consistently. If they do, you are in good shape.

Second, check the dealer feedback. Don't buy from a dealer with much negative feedback.

Third, know what you are buying. Is it new, used? Are there any defects? Why are they selling the guitar. Contact the dealer and ask these questions. In my case, he was liquidating some inventory to make room for new models. I got a brand new guitar for a great price!

Finally, if you have it shipped, GET SHIPPING INSURANCE. If something is damaged, you want to make sure someone else will pay.
  • I bought my Delta Blues amp from ebay with no problems. Check out the sellers feedback rating, as well as shipping options and make sure an expensive purchase is insured!

Personally, I wouldn't buy a guitar without playing it first unless it was a killer deal.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • nick1977nick1977 Posts: 327
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a guitar without playing it first unless it was a killer deal.

I generally wouldn't either, but I did. I found a guitar that retails for around $2,500 for $1500. It was brand new. I played serveral models exactely like this one, and they were consistent. So, I felt comfortable in ordering it.

It worked out GREAT for me. I love my gutiar. It is the best sounding guitar I've played. :)
  • i bought a marshall jcm 900 head a year ago and never had a problem. i play it out probably 16 hours a week. i retubed and biased it 3 months ago because it is 7 years old and had original tubes in it.i recently bought a marshall 1960bv 4x12 cab to complete a full stack and have had no problems either. it depends on what you are looking for. my sellers just wanted to get rid of their items b/c they either did not need them anymore or wanted to use that money toward the purchase of better gear. i love my jcm 900 tone and am happy with my purchases. if the seller has a legitimate excuse to be selling and will use care when packing the item, i say go for it with an amp. i would probably not buy a guitar without playing it and also based on the fact that stuff tends to happen to guitars during shipping.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • i tell one thing, its fuckin great for cables and leads. fraction of the store prices if you hunt like a raptor
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • Buying from an actual music instrument store on eBay will help your chances of getting whatever you buy in decent shape. They do so much business that they depend on their feedback rating to keep them going, and they know what precautions to take when shipping a guitar, amp, etc. Also, they will be better prepared to represent their item accurately in the sale.

Knowing what you want and what it's worth (market value, AND to you) will help immensely.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.