Fenders: US, Mexico, or Japan Made.....

?ing my education?ing my education Posts: 313
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
US made Fender guitars....are they really that much better than a guitar made in Mexico or Japan? I have been looking at Telecasters. There is an obvious price difference between guitars from all three places. Can someone explain to me what I am paying for? Is it really that much difference?

I don't play in a band or anything like that, it would just be for home use.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks.
Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• That whole situation is getting muddier and muddier!

In the long scheme of things, I think the new American Standards are better to some degree, but here are so many different models of American made, Mexican made, Japan etc that really it comes down to each individual guitar. If you go higher end with American strats, like a deluxe, I think they are better right from the start.

The Mexican ones are assembled just south of the border and use a lot of the same parts as the American. Some of the hardware is a bit lower grade and the pickups too. But then again, some Mexican ones have great pickups and are fine right out of the box. Sometimes the pickguards are a bit flimsier on the lower end models, too. It's not because they are made in Mexico, but due to the materials that they use to assemble them.
    The higher end Fenders have better fretwork and necks, too for the most part.
    The MIM ones are more inconsistant in that respect.

I've noticed that the ones from Mexico need a little more original set up tweaking (Adjusting neck, intonation, pickup height, etc) but you have to do that with new American ones, too. It takes just as long with either one, so that's not an issue.
    There seems to be thicker paint on the lower end ones, because the body wood is not as nice. I like a guitar with very little paint on it. Those thick clear coats and polyurethane paint jobs tend to stifle the sound of the wood.

That confusily clears things up, eh? :D

A lot of people end up changing hardware like tuners and tremelo and pickups on any of them, anyway!

Some of the MIM (Made in Mexico) guitars are great deals. I like the Jimmy Vaughn Strat almost right out of the box, for instance.
    I've had a few of them, and I have one that I use as my Frankenstein Guitar. (Experiment with different pickups and electronics).

It all comes down to having a well built body and neck. If the wood's good, you can do anything you want with them.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

You're looking at Teles!

Well that whole same above diatribe applies! :D

Actually, I like the MIM Standard Teles!
    The same applies to the wood and pickups. Teles are simpler guitars than strats, so a Mexican Tele is pretty damn good.
    I have a Frankenstein one of them, too. I'm putting new Lindy Fralin pickups in it today with a 5 way switch to give a whole bunch of options!
    Then after all that, I'll use one option, the bridge, as usual! :D

I'm taking pictures of the whole operation, too.
    Be kind, man

oh, and I have no idea what you're talking about
    :p
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • i have a MIM deluxe nashville Tele (3 pups - texas specials)
    after a set up and size 10 strings i think it's a really great guitar. solid Alder, Maple neck, Candy Apple red, Totoise shell Pick Guard, and the 5 way switch.

not much difference from the American really except a few blemishes in the neck, but does not effect tone.

maybe the lower end ones can vary alot, but if you buy a high end Mexican, i think you will be pleased.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • Buru wrote:
    When did you learn all this, Bob?
    you never cease to amaze me

oh, and I have no idea what you're talking about
    :p

I don't know ANY of this! Just made it up! :D

Actually, probably from 40 years of playing and making guitars, and of course,
    Losing them and wearing them out on tour and having to buy new ones!

I went to a lutherie school too, a long time ago. That was before they had electricity, though!
    Be kind, man
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Good stuff here

The Jimmy Vaughn strat may well be the finest non USA strat produced.

Most of the CIJ stuff is pretty good. They have very precise factories in Japan.

I think the new seymour duncan equipped Lite Ash Tele's are a great deal.

Essentially though I think it's an individual choice. The differences have been noted well by bob and others. In the end, putting a guitar in your hand that looks good and feels good is the task. Then determine whether it sounds good, whether you like the hardware, or would prefer other things like locking tuners, or you would prefer a little more umph or mids or sparkle out of the pickups etc. You have to listen, and play for a while to decide the major differences. The only way to really tell is to put them in your hands. Bottom line, when you find a good one you'll know, and it will grow on you as you play it more.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    my jap strat rules the world.