Need some enlightenment....

?ing my education?ing my education Posts: 313
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
OK...I have a question. Not sure if any one encounters this or not so here goes.

Start out with my Fender Blues Jr, nice and clean, with the master volume about 2-3 and the preamp volume on like 5-6. So it's not too loud right. Then when I kick in my new PPF pedal (with volume set to 3 on the pedal) obviously it gets louder, in a good way. (Side note: I have had the PPF for about 5 days and I LOVE IT!!.) Then when I kick the pedal off, it seems that the volume level drops. I understand it will drop a little because the pedal was just on but it seems to drop significantly.

Now I don't understand a lot about the relationship between the guitar, the amp, and different pedals. So is this normal? Has anyone else encountered this? Am I missing something?

If anyone has any advice please educate me.

Thanks!!
Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    OK...I have a question. Not sure if any one encounters this or not so here goes.

Start out with my Fender Blues Jr, nice and clean, with the master volume about 2-3 and the preamp volume on like 5-6. So it's not too loud right. Then when I kick in my new PPF pedal (with volume set to 3 on the pedal) obviously it gets louder, in a good way. (Side note: I have had the PPF for about 5 days and I LOVE IT!!.) Then when I kick the pedal off, it seems that the volume level drops. I understand it will drop a little because the pedal was just on but it seems to drop significantly.

Now I don't understand a lot about the relationship between the guitar, the amp, and different pedals. So is this normal? Has anyone else encountered this? Am I missing something?

If anyone has any advice please educate me.

Thanks!!

Fuzz pedals are the most tricky ones to work out. What else is in your chain?
    The fuzz pedal will clean up with your guitar vol knobs and I am not sure you will be able to balance your signal without using your guitar vol. You can try to match the pedal and your clean channel, but don't match them with high vol on your guitar or you will have loss all the good tones out of the fuzz box.

I have all my pedals set to my clean signal level and use my guitar vol and tone knobs. There is no right or wrong way, it depends on what you are using the said pedal for, lead, etc.
    If you want it to cut when you stomp then you are going to have it do the opposite when you kick it off ;)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • I don't really have anything else in my chain. I have a EH English Muff'n and a wah but I have not put all three of them together yet. At this point it has just been the PPF.

OK, so it sounds like I am just going to have to adjust using my guitar's volume knobs based on when I have the pedal on or not. OK, sounds easy enough, I thought that might be the case but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something else I was missing.

Thanks J and by the way the PPF is unbelievable. With just minor tweaks of the knobs, I have been able to get some really good sounds out of it. I am already looking into other possible BJ pedals but damn I got save up some money. I was looking at the maybe a DRD or a EGDM.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I don't really have anything else in my chain. I have a EH English Muff'n and a wah but I have not put all three of them together yet. At this point it has just been the PPF.

OK, so it sounds like I am just going to have to adjust using my guitar's volume knobs based on when I have the pedal on or not. OK, sounds easy enough, I thought that might be the case but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something else I was missing.

Thanks J and by the way the PPF is unbelievable. With just minor tweaks of the knobs, I have been able to get some really good sounds out of it. I am already looking into other possible BJ pedals but damn I got save up some money. I was looking at the maybe a DRD or a EGDM.

The PPF is great with the honeybee. I just got a sun face from BJ and I prefer the PPF. It handles my humbuckers and singlecoils equally well and it doesn't mud out. Try messing with your guitar knobs, you'll get more tones out of it for sure.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • So if the amp is on, then you kick in a pedal, then when you turn the pedal off, the amp is quieter than it was before the pedal was on in the first place?
    It might be just the perception that the amp got quieter because you were rocking the house with the pedal on! :D.

Try setting the pedal volume so that the volume is the same when it's on and when it's off, then switch it back and forth and see if the amp is quieter. If the pedal is true bypassed then it should be the same.
    I did have an overdrive pedal once that had switching problems and cut volume out sporadically, even when it was off.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • This may sound stupid but, your ears are probably just adjusting from the volume change. Its probably the same before and after. Sort of like your eyes adjusting to the light.

No that doesn't sound stupid, my question sounded kinda stupid after reading the responses and then thinking about it. What you said makes total sense.

Last night I went home and put my EH English Muff'n in front of the BJ PPF. I set up the Muff'n to a nice clean sound with the volume on like 2-3 and gain on like 3. So I kicked that on and had a nice clean sound and then would turn on the PPF with the volume on like 3-4 and then had a nice distorted/fuzz going on with it and WOW, very nice. Then when I would turn the PPF off, I didn't lose much because I still had the Muff'n going. So I think I have found a happy medium.

Thanks for the comments.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream