Bought a LP Classic.....

?ing my education?ing my education Posts: 313
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Got it this weekend and I freakin' love it.....

NewGuitar002.jpg

NewGuitar001.jpg

NewGuitar005.jpg

Had never played a Les Paul before. I have an Epi Les Paul, and I never thought there would be that big of difference between the two.....but damn, was I wrong.
Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Gibsons are better than Epiphones, and I speak from experience. I don't care what country it comes from. Congrats man.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    looks like a keeper, treat her well!

Wish I had a new guitar coming my way. Even an Epi!
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Novawind wrote:
    looks like a keeper, treat her well!

Wish I had a new guitar coming my way. Even an Epi!

How interested would you be in an Epi? I would love to unload the one I have. PM me if you, or anyone else for that matter, are interested in it.

Here are a few pics of it.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/dotheevolution/NewGuitar003.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/dotheevolution/NewGuitar004.jpg
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    NIce fiddle !!

My fav PJ song on an LP is Dissident, those big soaring bends just sustain forever !! oh, and Alive of course !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    My next purchase, which will be in a while.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 Posts: 596
    If I were ever to get an expensive guitar, that would be it. I love the look of the open coil pick ups.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
    How interested would you be in an Epi? I would love to unload the one I have. PM me if you, or anyone else for that matter, are interested in it.

Here are a few pics of it.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/dotheevolution/NewGuitar003.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/dotheevolution/NewGuitar004.jpg

ooo, it's the right color and everything. How long have you had it and how well does it play? I think I just might be interested in it.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    I have an Epi with the cherry sunburst but 3 weeks ago I got a Classic too..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/Drew263/C.jpg

And yeah..there's no comparison b/t a true Gibson and an Epi. Although I do still like my Epi....lol
  • Drew263 wrote:
    I have an Epi with the cherry sunburst but 3 weeks ago I got a Classic too..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/Drew263/C.jpg

And yeah..there's no comparison b/t a true Gibson and an Epi. Although I do still like my Epi....lol

Ohhhh man, Love that Classic. I still like the Epi too, I dropped new p/u's in it and it has a good sound, I think it is good guitar. I would keep it but with my new purchase, I really need to unload some of my stuff.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Novawind wrote:
    ooo, it's the right color and everything. How long have you had it and how well does it play? I think I just might be interested in it.

Nova, the color actually is really cool. I will try to take some better pics of it tonight so that you can really see it. Check your PM also.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Got it this weekend and I freakin' love it.....

NewGuitar002.jpg

NewGuitar001.jpg

NewGuitar005.jpg

Had never played a Les Paul before. I have an Epi Les Paul, and I never thought there would be that big of difference between the two.....but damn, was I wrong.

That is a damn nice guitar man. I have an Epi LP 'Ultra' and while it does what it needs to in my stage of guitar experience, posts like these make me really want a Gibson. :D

Actually, come to think of it, I'd probably get an American Strat before a Gibson.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    DOSW wrote:
    That is a damn nice guitar man. I have an Epi LP 'Ultra' and while it does what it needs to in my stage of guitar experience, posts like these make me really want a Gibson. :D

Actually, come to think of it, I'd probably get an American Strat before a Gibson.
    American Strat=Heaven.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Congrats! I got a Gibson LP Custom in cherry sunburst about a year ago, and I am so glad I did. It really has been all I thought it would be. With the exception of a sore shoulder from time to time, I love it.
    What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    2 questions:

1. what kind of pickups are those?

2. other than the pickups, what is the difference between a Classic and a Standard? because I see the Classic is about $600 cheaper, I could go for one of those if it's as good as my Standard.
    MLC2006 wrote:
    2 questions:

1. what kind of pickups are those?

2. other than the pickups, what is the difference between a Classic and a Standard? because I see the Classic is about $600 cheaper, I could go for one of those if it's as good as my Standard.

Standard has a flame top, doesn't come with a pickgaurd. I honestly prefer the look of the classic if it had covered 'buckers.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Standard has a flame top, doesn't come with a pickgaurd. I honestly prefer the look of the classic if it had covered 'buckers.

You can always add them after the fact. The classic also comes with ceramic magnets in the pickups, as opposed to AlNiCo.
  • Yeah, the p/u's are stock. They are a little "hot" but it is not as bad as I had imagined. It actually sounds really good. I too would prefer the covered p/u's just to finish off "the look". I think I might do it down the road.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
    Yeah, the p/u's are stock. They are a little "hot" but it is not as bad as I had imagined. It actually sounds really good. I too would prefer the covered p/u's just to finish off "the look". I think I might do it down the road.

what does the neck pickup sound like? my standard has 490 and it can be somewhat muddy sounding if much distortion is applied. my treble pickup up is pretty awesome though and the middle position sounds awesome.

other than those who like the look, is a "flametop" considered better wood? I personally don't like the flametop look. my guitar is ebony, so I have no idea if it's flametop anyway. I like the sunburst, but I think I would get goldtop if I ever got another LP. doesn't the Classic come in goldtop?

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    what does the neck pickup sound like? my standard has 490 and it can be somewhat muddy sounding if much distortion is applied. my treble pickup up is pretty awesome though and the middle position sounds awesome.

other than those who like the look, is a "flametop" considered better wood? I personally don't like the flametop look. my guitar is ebony, so I have no idea if it's flametop anyway. I like the sunburst, but I think I would get goldtop if I ever got another LP. doesn't the Classic come in goldtop?

I haven't played it through any distortion yet, i just went straight through the amp. it sounded pretty damn good. But the treble and middle positions did actually sound better, IMO.

Someone else can probably explain the flametop thing better than me. Mine is a cherry sunburst and I love it. I also really dig the goldtops and yes, I do believe the classic comes that way.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • I like the chrome pick-up covers also. I'm obsessed with the honeyburst and the iced tea finishes.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    do the chrome covers cause the sound to be different? I mean honestly, they look a little more expensive maybe, but mine get fingerprints and dust all over them. all in all though, I have been very happy with my Gibson (got it right before Christmas), it's way better than my Fender imo.
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    MLC2006 wrote:

Yep....I have one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/Drew263/IMG_0330.jpg
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    Well, while every bit of maple is different, nobody in the world could listen to a Paul and tell you if it has a flametop or not. It's purely cosmetic. As for the chrome covers, they do make a difference. Not a huge difference, but a difference, nonetheless. Moreso if they're wax-potted, too. They just dull the sound slightly, like rolling the tone knob from 10 to 9.5 or so.