Really easy chord question for one of you pros...

SweetReliefSweetRelief Posts: 71
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I don't understand how to play the chords that have an x on one of the middle strings. As in D69/F#:

(sorry about it not lining up well, this was as good as I could get it)

x o o o
|_|_|_|_|_|
2 x o 3 o o

How do I do that x?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Mute it with the finger right next to it. Have the finger on the second fret just graze the string below so that when you strum the muted string doesn't ring out clearly like the others.
  • WhiteMaleRatWhiteMaleRat Posts: 301
    I never really understood muting out strings. why bother?
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    so they don't ring ;)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • yah muting strings is often not an exact science. Especially when chord changes are fast and furious. It's often difficult mute exactly the right string. At first you may mute to many or accidentelly fret that string. Just practice and remeber that its really tough at first.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Awesome guys, thank you so much!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Thanks for asking this question as I have wonderde for ages also... didn't want to appear stoopid for asking it.... so I waited until somebody else asked first :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    Thanks for asking this question as I have wonderde for ages also... didn't want to appear stoopid for asking it.... so I waited until somebody else asked first :)

Always ask. We all started out 'once, upon a time!' :-) as well. You never learn unless you ask.

:-)
  • Thanks for asking this question as I have wonderde for ages also... didn't want to appear stoopid for asking it.... so I waited until somebody else asked first :)
    I feel so used...
    :p
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309

Because the muted string is not in the same key as the rest of the notes in the chord you are playing.

For instance:

3x3333

is:

G x F A# D G

The G major scale is:

G A B C D E F# (G)

So what you are playing is a Gm7. 7th chords are weird. A major 7th chord plays the 7th note in the major scale, whereas a 7th or minor 7th chord actually plays a flattened 7th note (in this case the F instead of the F#). Don't forget, a minor has a flattened 3rd.

So that x'd out note if you were to play it open would be an "A", or if you were to just barre i be a "C". Now, both of those are techincally in the key of G. But neither are in a Gm7 which had G A# D and F. You're be adding in a 9th or 11th (or 2nd and 4th depending on how you look at it), and that will throw the chord off. Thus by muting it you keep the Gm7 intact.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"