My kid wants to learn to play guitar

SwanSwan Posts: 350
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Or so she says. She's six. I was wondering what I should start her out with? What kind of guitar? They have these acustic guitars at Wal-Mart for twenty buck, it comes with a cd and beginners book. Any suggestion?
I'm the only Hell Mama ever raised.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jodijodi Posts: 183
    i would say accoustic..buy a small cheap one.. maybe she doesn't like it.. maybe she's to young.. i wouldn't push it to much..
    good luck!
    There's a light,... when my baby's in my arms...
    And I know she's reached my heart,... in thin air
  • The cheap acoustics work a treat and wont leave you regretting spending loads of money if she doesnt stick at it. My parents got me into music at a very young age and im so grateful to them. Remember to take interest in it yourself too and encourage her. That way she's likely to stick at it and you could have your very own little rockstar. You can also find websites on the net which can teach chords and notes from begginer level to the more advanced. Good luck
    www.myspace.com/dhmarks - Me

www.myspace.com/jackietreehornmusic - The Band
  • Start off with a cheap acoustic. I remember my first guitar was one made by prisoners as part of their rehab program LOL.. awful piece of shit. But it worked for a beginner... my advice is do that, get a cheap acoustic and if she doesn't stick to it, you won't regret spending that much money and can even use it to light a fire or strangle your dog with its strings...
    Hi, my name is Denis and I endorse this post.
  • PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 Posts: 596
    thats what i would get (what you suggested) for a 6 year old
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Go find her a good teacher and ask what he/she recommends. It's a good idea not to buy a really cheap guitar because if it can't stay in tune, you'll ruin her sense of pitch.

Who would want to play something that sounds bad anyway? It might discourage her. :(
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • you have a six year old that wants to learn?? my son didnt ask until he was 15.... anyway, for a six year old i would probably get a guitar in the $30-60 range. Its cheap, but it will stay in tune fairly well. If she stops for now and wants to learn later, go with something for 80 or 90 bucks. I bought a 90 dollar acoustic for my son, and 3 years later it still looks cheap, but stays in tune and plays pretty good for just a practice, beat-up guitar.

Also, three other words of advice: lessons, lessons, lessons! as good as i am at guitar after playing for 20 years, i didnt realize i could not teach my son for the life of me. I didnt even remember what he should learn first, like scales, chord progressions, simple stuff like that
  • my little bro started at the same age, but i had an old cheapy electric made for younger people that i gave him.