Gretsch guitars

digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, I'm a man a long ways away from having enough money for another guitar (I currently own a Telecaster), so I tend to poke around just for fun. That being said, I tried a Gretsch today for the first time, along with the Bigsby bar. Holy moses. The sound shook the room; it was worlds away from the usually thin, crisper sound of a Tele, and somewhat closer to the sound I had in my head, deep, rumbling, almost "darker" (it's difficult to describe such a sound). And of course, Neil Young's used some, so that's automatic points in my book.

Any other Gretsch fans? I secretly pondered maybe putting my Tele up for sale to pay for it, but I doubt I'd go that far yet. Anyone own one, play one regularly? I love the thing so much, I thought it was time for a Gretsch thread (I tried searching, didn't find any others).
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Lee MLee M Posts: 142
    A Junior Jet was my first guitar, and I still have it. I'm planning on upgrading it a little this summer because as much as I play my other guitars, I still pick it up and love to play it.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    digster wrote:
    So, I'm a man a long ways away from having enough money for another guitar (I currently own a Telecaster), so I tend to poke around just for fun. That being said, I tried a Gretsch today for the first time, along with the Bigsby bar. Holy moses. The sound shook the room; it was worlds away from the usually thin, crisper sound of a Tele, and somewhat closer to the sound I had in my head, deep, rumbling, almost "darker" (it's difficult to describe such a sound). And of course, Neil Young's used some, so that's automatic points in my book.

Any other Gretsch fans? I secretly pondered maybe putting my Tele up for sale to pay for it, but I doubt I'd go that far yet. Anyone own one, play one regularly? I love the thing so much, I thought it was time for a Gretsch thread (I tried searching, didn't find any others).

whenever i see bands live(which is often) im always on the lookout for a gretsch(rickenbackers too). i have been known to focus all my attention on one for the whole night.

i only have an acoustic atm but a beautiful black fat arse gretsch is my holy grail. for now though, i satisfy my lust for them by licking the glass of jacksons rare guitars at annandale. ;):D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I have a sparkly Silvertone Gretsch hollow-body with a Bigsby bar. It is a nice piece of furniture since I can't play a lick...I won it in a contest.
  • digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    Rickenbackers, Danelectros and Gretsches are the ones I pay attention to; if I see one I'm fixated. Sounds like we'd get along well. I feel like, although this sounds strange, they're a bit off the beaten path of Fender and Gibson. Don't get me wrong, I love my Tele, it's just not really me. If I could keep my Tele and get one each of those guitars, I think I'd be set for life. That won't be happening for a long, long time. I think the tremolo bar had an awful lot to do with it, too; slightly playing with that made every chord sound so ghostly and deep. If I owned one, I'd have to be careful not to overdo it.
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I have a sparkly Silvertone Gretsch hollow-body with a Bigsby bar. It is a nice piece of furniture since I can't play a lick...I won it in a contest.

i suggest you give it to me then. :p:D

or learn to play.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    whenever i see bands live(which is often) im always on the lookout for a gretsch(rickenbackers too). i have been known to focus all my attention on one for the whole night.

i only have an acoustic atm but a beautiful black fat arse gretsch is my holy grail. for now though, i satisfy my lust for them by licking the glass of jacksons rare guitars at annandale. ;):D

Lots of bargin gretsch's at Katoomba on the weekend. The second music shop on left hand side Katoomba st had a heap of them marked down. He's a really good operator. I ended up with a squier strat for $169. If I had $1200 there was a super dooper black gretsch that would've been mine!!

Oh yeah and the guitarist in the rockabilly band on Saturday had a super sweet one!! :p
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • There isn't a current Gretsch model that fits my specs, but here's one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gretsch-Duo-Jet-G6128-G-6128-G6128TDS-G6128T-Dynasonic_W0QQitemZ260307016422QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260307016422&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

And a DeArmond version:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guild-DeArmond-M75-M-75T-Champagne-Sparkle-Vibrato-HSC_W0QQitemZ380076753025QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item380076753025&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

A Jet (I really like the silver sparkle) with DynaSonic pickups and a Bigsby. I've never really appreciated hollow-bodies, especially the really big ones, but a nice solid-body Jet, especially with DynaSonics... wow...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I would love to have a White Penguin. I played one at a store last year and it was really sweet. Played like butter and sounded fantastic. Such a classy looking instrument, too.
  • digster wrote:
    That is gorgeous. Some day, please.

I second that. What a beautiful guitar.

My next guitar will definitely be a Gretsch. I've had my sights on a few models for the last year and a half. Been saving up some cash to finally get my hands on one. Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Lucy's got a GORGEOUS purple Gretsch.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I have a gretsch uke! Seriously. It's round and blue.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
    Austicman wrote:
    Lots of bargin gretsch's at Katoomba on the weekend. The second music shop on left hand side Katoomba st had a heap of them marked down. He's a really good operator. I ended up with a squier strat for $169. If I had $1200 there was a super dooper black gretsch that would've been mine!!

Oh yeah and the guitarist in the rockabilly band on Saturday had a super sweet one!! :p

oooh i love the black ones. why do you tease me like that. ;):p:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    digster wrote:
    Rickenbackers, Danelectros and Gretsches are the ones I pay attention to; if I see one I'm fixated. Sounds like we'd get along well. I feel like, although this sounds strange, they're a bit off the beaten path of Fender and Gibson. Don't get me wrong, I love my Tele, it's just not really me. If I could keep my Tele and get one each of those guitars, I think I'd be set for life. That won't be happening for a long, long time. I think the tremolo bar had an awful lot to do with it, too; slightly playing with that made every chord sound so ghostly and deep. If I owned one, I'd have to be careful not to overdo it.

What kind of Tele do you have? Love those guitars. I'd kill for a butterscotch blonde tele, I love those so much.

I kinda feel the same way about my Epi Les Paul. I like the sound but it just doesn't feel like "me."
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • There isn't a current Gretsch model that fits my specs, but here's one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gretsch-Duo-Jet-G6128-G-6128-G6128TDS-G6128T-Dynasonic_W0QQitemZ260307016422QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260307016422&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

And a DeArmond version:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guild-DeArmond-M75-M-75T-Champagne-Sparkle-Vibrato-HSC_W0QQitemZ380076753025QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item380076753025&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

A Jet (I really like the silver sparkle) with DynaSonic pickups and a Bigsby. I've never really appreciated hollow-bodies, especially the really big ones, but a nice solid-body Jet, especially with DynaSonics... wow...

I own a DeArmond M-75T. Have had it for a long time now. Descent piece, plays great, looks great, tone wise it has a place, and due to that I don't use it that much.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    Oh yeah, Gretsch guitars are quality. Wouldnt mind a White Falcon or a Black Penguin. Usual problem of too many wants and not enough money.....
  • I own a DeArmond M-75T. Have had it for a long time now. Descent piece, plays great, looks great, tone wise it has a place, and due to that I don't use it that much.

If I had any money, I'd make you an offer... I fell in love with DynaSonics a few years ago, and have been looking at certain setups off and on over the years. And the Bigsby would be a great toy to play around with (although as someone said already, you have to be careful not to overdo it). I find the DynaSonics to be similar to a P-90, but with maybe less top-end sparkle and bite, and more lows. I was actually really pleased to learn that Seymour Duncan is coming out with a DynaSonic pickup.

Anyways, to each their own. I think the TV Jones HB's are decent, but I'd rather have Classic '57s.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    http://www.gretschwhitepenguin.com/

i have this.. i "acquired" it some years back.... 95 i think ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    What kind of music do people like to use the Gretsch for? I know it's typically known as a 'rockabilly' guitar, the one I tried was extremely loud and rafter-shaking, and definitely had some feedback possibilities for crazy Neil Young-esque stuff. What do people here use it for?
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    digster wrote:
    What kind of music do people like to use the Gretsch for? I know it's typically known as a 'rockabilly' guitar, the one I tried was extremely loud and rafter-shaking, and definitely had some feedback possibilities for crazy Neil Young-esque stuff. What do people here use it for?

it should be used for this
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DYRmiOjNSK0

i dont know if this is a gretsch (looks like one)
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6WVD3PqeNY

:cool:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Saw Reverend Horton Heat last night, he rips on a Gretsch. I dont know how he gets that sound, he's incredible.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • If I had any money, I'd make you an offer... I fell in love with DynaSonics a few years ago, and have been looking at certain setups off and on over the years. And the Bigsby would be a great toy to play around with (although as someone said already, you have to be careful not to overdo it). I find the DynaSonics to be similar to a P-90, but with maybe less top-end sparkle and bite, and more lows. I was actually really pleased to learn that Seymour Duncan is coming out with a DynaSonic pickup.

Anyways, to each their own. I think the TV Jones HB's are decent, but I'd rather have Classic '57s.

It's got it place for sure, just not a "main axe" for sure. Looks wise, it's amazing, plays great tone, just ain't for everything. But still a nice piece. Got mine new $299 back in the day when they stopped production.

TV jones have been considered for sure.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• Saw Reverend Horton Heat last night, he rips on a Gretsch. I dont know how he gets that sound, he's incredible.

Always seen him playing through a super reverb. With his line up off boss pedals. But yes his tone is over the top incredible.

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    digster wrote:

Pretty much anything. I often play it clean, as it has the best clean sound of any of my guitars. Any blues/rockabilly feel, Pearl Jam, U2, often just root aound playing anything from Jeff Buckley to Metallica. My Setzer has trestle bracing so it can take gain, so I can play heavy stuff as well as clean stuff.
    Lots of fingerpicky or arpeggio stuff sounds good, Floyd, Zep.
    I tend to use it in open tuning for White Stripes stuff, or Daughter, for example.
    Basically it sound freaking awesome whatever I play through it. When I used to take her to band practice, even our drummer was awed by how good it always sounded, and I would often play her for most of the night, unless I needed a lot of upper fret access.
    Those TV Jones Filtertrons are SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET pups !!!
    In fact, I think I'll go play her now, I need to practice Porch and Garden.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • P1070442.jpg
  • I love my Gretsch! I have a hollow body similar to the Brian Setzer model but it's a Historic series. I got it cheap and ended up selling my Country Gentleman. I stuck a Bigsby on it and it rocks. The hollow body vibrates against my stomach and starts playing itself in a loud venue. It's kind of like playing a living thing. :cool:

Great use of a Gretsch right here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZuHREUIVz8&feature=related
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart