any success stories about singing?

digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
edited September 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey everyone...lately, Ive been alot more out of breath, and it seems like I've lost my singing voice...I can barely finish a line now. I don't understand how I lost it, but more importantly, it really sucks, because music is pretty much my sole passion...it hurts not to be able to do something you love well.

Anyone have inspirational stories about how they went from suckiness to being able to be proud of your singing? If so, how'd you go about it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I don't know if I'm the best at it but I try to stick to some basic principles

- Emotion first, too many people try to be perfect....just let it loose
    - a good effects processor will do everyone some justice, I have a cheap Nady unit (DSP 256) and I find that if you dial in some plate reverb without overdoing the sustain...nice sparce overtones but not too wet
    - varying between a low baritone, throaty tenor and throwing in some falsettos here and there will give you some dynamic to sustain the song's intensity
    - find the keys that suit your voice...I like the G thru B area, some people stick to the E standards, everyone has a sweet spot when it comes to their own tendencies
    - try different genres than the ones you would normally would abide by, the next thing you know you've developed a whole new style to add to your chop library

this is all from personal experience, I play in a rock/reggae outfit and have these kinds of dilemmas all the time.........good thread by the way
    hate was just a legend
  • digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    Originally posted by SweetHarmonics
    I don't know if I'm the best at it but I try to stick to some basic principles

I'm hoping it's temporary...I just moved to college, so I'm praying it's just the change of air. Maybe, maybe not. But then I think, playing in a rock band, I'm sure to find myself in my share of shitty, hole in the wall clubs. If my voice can't handle this, how could it handle that? Maybe I'm just a pessimist :-(
  • I used to not be able to sing.

Now I can.

Not really a sucess story, but...
    PresiWAH of the Evenflow Fan Club
    Don't need a hand, there's always arms attached.
    Don't get behind I can't fall back.
    Why must we trust all these rusted rails?
    They don't want no change. We already have.