when eddie played arc live...

digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
...does anyone know what Eddie used to do it, what kind of equipment? Although I've never heard a live version, from what I understand, Eddie looped his voice over and over, building the song up piece by piece. Does anyone know how he did this, what he used to loop his voice? Thanks alot.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    nevermind, found this in the rumor pit...

Q: What device did Eddie use when he performed Arc live using what seem to be loops of his voice. Can you just give me a rough idea of what he actually does on stage and what device he uses?

A: To reproduce the layered vocal arrangement of Arc in a live performance setting, Ed uses a Gibson "Echoplex Digital Pro" sampler, which is basically a more versatile, modern version of the old Market Electronics tape-based "Echoplex" loop recorder of the '60s. Unlike the older Echoplexes, the newer Gibson Echoplex allows for multiple loops to be played simultaneously and recorded on-the-fly. Obviously, the newer Echoplexes do not use magnetic tape, but instead use digital technology to "sample", or record, whatever is being input into the unit. With Ed, we use it for vocals, but the Gibson Echoplex can be used with any number of analog or digital instruments like guitar or keyboards. One other comment about Ed's use of the Echoplex in recreating Arc live... He does not pre-record or save the samples, so each live performance of Arc is being newly constructed from scratch using the Echoplex (which is why you might have noticed Ed using headphones on stage to monitor his singing into the unit) and are therefore individually unique in their final outcome.

I was also wondering if there was anyone who had a live performance of Arc. I thought of pearljamlive.com, but then remembered that they were not included on the official bootlegs. if anyone could help, thanks alot.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    That's a pretty interesting use of the Echoplex. I'd like to hear that. :)
  • I believe the The Sky I Scrape site - http://www.theskyiscrape.com - had them available from the different shows. Not sure that they are there anymore, after a quick search.
    1998 - 11/3 (SYD2)
    2003 - 11/2 (SYD1), 13/2 (SYD2), 14/2 (SYD3), 8/7 (MSG1), 9/7 (MSG2), 11/7 (BOS3)
    2006 - 7/11 (SYD1), 8/11 (SYD2), 10/11 (BRIS1), 18/11 (SYD3)
    2009 - 20/11 (MEL), 22/11 (SYD)
    2011 - 18/3 (EVSYD1), 19/3 (EVSYD2), 24/3 (EVMEL1), 25/3 (EVMEL2)
    2014 - 26/1 (BDOSYD)
  • is it tape echo?

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell