Vocal Auditions?

clockworkroseclockworkrose Posts: 13
edited September 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
hiya guys. I don't know if this has ever been posted before, but I didn't feel like looking... so... yeah. ok, I am 'auditioning' for this band...but not in person. they would like a sample of my voice, you know like an audition tape. thing is, I don't know where to start! I am totally new to this auditioning shit, and don't know what the fuck to do. oh yeah, I do not have a microphone attached to my computer. Should I just sing like accapella (sp?). anybody have any auditioning tips for a beginner?? :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    It would be better to sing with some accompaniment I think. To show how good you can sound in a song that you know.

What songs do you usually sing well? Who do you usually sing with? Once you've answered these questions for yourself, record your best songs.

No, I wouldn't just sing a capella into a computer microphone. :p
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • I know. I thought there where like programs on the computer to add music to your vocals or whatever. I dunno. what songs do I usually sing well?? uhmm.... I don't know. :confused: I'm so confused. I have a very deep, bluesy voice for a female... the band who I'm auditioning for is an 80s new wave/techno sounding band sooo... wtf?? should I like whip out the depeche mode?
    It sounds like you are pretty inexperienced. I wouldn't fool around with a computerized background.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • uh, yeah! thats why I started this thread....I have no idea what I am doing. so should I find a friend who plays guitar and just sing with that, and use a tape recorder??.....
    Originally posted by clockworkrose
    uh, yeah! thats why I started this thread....I have no idea what I am doing. so should I find a friend who plays guitar and just sing with that, and use a tape recorder??.....

YES!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • that's it?? ok.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Okay my quesion is:

1. why do you have to sing into a tape and not in person?

Do these guys live across the country or something that you can't go audition for them in person? That is probably the dumbest way I have ever heard to audition a singer....or anybody for that matter....I know its pretty common....but its stupid. We were looking for a bass player for over a year (we finally found one), but if we picked them souly on their playing capabilities...we would have been kicking ourselves in the end. Even Metallica (when they found Jason Newstead) did live auditions. To me, music is all about chemistry....and that only happens in a live situation. And what about image? Picture 4 metalheads with leather on....and they pick a guy to play with them based on a tape, only when he shows up he is dressed like some country star with a cowboy hat and boots.....wouldn't that seem a little strange to you?....hahaha *mental image*
    Thats my opinion about it all anyways....hope everything all works out for you.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • ed joined PJ over a tape =]
    "Know a man, his face seems pulled and tense, like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds..."
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    True...but PJ (mother love bone) we're already well established. If you ask me live auditions are still the way to go!
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see