slide

scot88scot88 Posts: 217
edited October 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
anyone around here any good at using a slide? i have one, but am far from being proficient. any advice as to how i can better my skills?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Slide works best on a guitar set up with a high action. Having said that I use my usual guitars, mostly in open tuning.

I use a brass slide, a large size on my pinky so it goes allteh way down, and I can still bend my finger around a bit inside it.. I grip teh lide between teh pinky and ring finger, and lay my index across the strings behind the slide to ocntrol unwanted noise.
    Some people prefer a smaller slide on their ring finger, and put it only down to teh second joint, but I don't like that.
    It takes a bit of practise to get teh right amount of pressure on the strings, and to get the notes right. It sounds much better if there is no other melodic instrument to show up your off tune notes.

For best overall results, I suggest you play with gusto !!

I find my slide sounds like shit when I try and play nice.
    There are some great White Stripes tuens to get your slide chops happening.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    i play on my regular guitars. i use a coriciden bottle, they are by far the most comfortable and best sounding slides you can get(just look at allman). the main thing u should focus on perfecting is the muting, thats the best way to sound better
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go