tele's

scot88scot88 Posts: 217
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
let's hear why you love tele's. (aside from the tone) i love my g&l asat classic (basically a tele) because it's unique. everyone i know has a fender strat, and when i take out my g&l asat, people turn their heads. i also like how meaty it is. it's a heavier than a strat, which makes it seem a lot more durable. i've had this thing for 4 years now and i can't find a single scratch or dent (trust me, i've dropped it a fair share of times.)

and, for some reason, i am a lot more impressed when someone absolutely kills a solo on a tele rather than a strat. i guess it's because it is so unexpected. teles are used more often than not as rythm guitars.

that's just my opinion. let's hear your's.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• journeymanjourneyman Posts: 135
    The schecter PT is damn cool. I'd like to get me one of them.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    I've had a Nashville telecaster for almost 4 months now. Contrary to any prior posts I've made about it, it's a pretty versatile and well-built guitar for $550. I like the "unexpected" factor you mentioned earlier. Unforunately, it took buying one for me to realize humbuckers are what I'm after. I'm still going to keep it.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    scot88 wrote:
    because it's unique. everyone i know has a fender strat, and when i take out my g&l asat, people turn their heads.

Same reason I've wanted one for a really, really long time.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i've had one for 11 years. it's the one i've owned the longest and was my 2nd guitar. it's sort of out of rotation right now but it'll be back.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    ive got a 2006 am. deluxe ash tele, and am currently saving for either an eric johnson strat, or a nocaster. i love my tele because it is more unique than a strat, and actually has more tonal possibilities. i can go from super bluesy through my bassman, or switch to overdrive and get a great quacky snap, all with no feedback(deluxes have SCNs)
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    how are you liking the scns? i loved them in the strat but i put them in my tele and i'm finding them too bright. i'm disappointed.
  • I have an American deluxe HH Tele, chrome blue with a black pickguard (gorgeous, killer colour combo), only about 9 months old or so. I love it and have been playing much more often and much better since I got it. I have a Fender acoustic and an older Squier Strat, and had been looking at Teles for a looooooong time. I love their sound, but the look is just so different and yet iconic at the same time. EVERYONE seems to have a strat, and I just wanted something fresh.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • kdpjam wrote:

nice...i only have a deluxe squire with 2 p-90's on set up professionally but i love tele's, i really wanna invest in a usa tele in the future, .............gord, im dreamin right now!

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Esquire. Because it feels good in your hands and it sounds heavenly.

Black guard and butterscotch blonde....it dosen't get any better
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    1. Because they have that unique factor.

2. Because i love the bridge to rest my hand on (As opposed to the Strat which i hate)

2b. Because i goddamn hate the setup of the dials on the strat, and as a beginning guitar choice it was between Squier Strat or Squier Tele.

3. Because Strats are often perceived, especially by non-musicians, as a 'standard' rock guitar. It looks a damn sight cooler to see someone rocking out on a tele/ the solo point someone made earlier.

4. Did i mention i hate Strats?
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    The only electric I have is a '93 USA Tele with 4-way switch and a pretty heavy sounding neck pup. Love it.
    exhausted wrote:
    how are you liking the scns? i loved them in the strat but i put them in my tele and i'm finding them too bright. i'm disappointed.
    the neck pup is the nicest sounding noiseless pup ive ever played, and is one of my favorite tele neck pups of all. the bridge was sort of bright though, but i just lowered the pup and that helped, but i think i may opt for a duncan 5 2 5 in the future(the neck pup will stay though)
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Here's one of my Telecasters - American Deluxe Telecaster® (Old) Model #010-5500/02
    I'm posting this because you don't see these very often (I've only seen 1 other since I bought mine).
    FRONT - http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/ianvomsaal/IMGP0367.jpg
    BACK - http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/ianvomsaal/IMGP0365.jpg
    Abalone dots, rosewood fretboard, mint green pickgard, 5 way switch.
    It came standard with 2 noiseless tele pickups (neck and bridge), and a strat noiseless pickup (middle).
    Also has an A/B (on/off) switch which turns the bridge pickup on and off.
    This allows all 3 pickups to be on at once, or just the neck and bridge together (talk about versatile).
    Here are a couple Fender diagrams:
    http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/telecaster/0105500_02C/SD0105500_02CPg1.pdf
    http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/telecaster/0105500_02C/SD0105500_02CPg3.pdf
    http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/telecaster/0105500_02C/SD0105500_02CPg4.pdf
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • seanw1010 wrote:
    ive got a 2006 am. deluxe ash tele, and am currently saving for either an eric johnson strat, or a nocaster. i love my tele because it is more unique than a strat, and actually has more tonal possibilities. i can go from super bluesy through my bassman, or switch to overdrive and get a great quacky snap, all with no feedback(deluxes have SCNs)

just wondering why your looking into the Eric Johnson strat? i agree with your other comment about the Am Deluxe. Neck pickup....like glass.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
    I would really love this tele

http://www.fender.ru/fender/img/0155000806.jpg
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Headstock ruins it IMO.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    just wondering why your looking into the Eric Johnson strat? i agree with your other comment about the Am Deluxe. Neck pickup....like glass.
    oh man, the EJ strat has to be the nicest playing strat ive ever played! it is awesome, the neck is great(med-jumbo frets v neck, 12 inch radius). and, its gt a nitro finish w/ 2 piece body(as opposed to the three peices usually used on american strats), and the bodies are always really nice.
    this is the one i want(the 3 sunburst is only available at wildwood):
    http://wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/fender/strat/ej04832/ej04832.php

ps, ive never even heard a single song by eric johnson(really), but the strat is amazing!

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL8aeeSTthQ first EJ song i ever heard-he is really good!
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I dig Teles, but prefer Strats (a new one coming soon:))
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • can you imagine if telecaster kept its original name of Broadcaster...it would roll of the tounge would it?:)

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell