little wing: my nemisis

scot88scot88 Posts: 217
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
i cannot play this fucking song. i've been playing guitar for a handful of years, and i've been trying to learn this damn song for the same amount. i get better and better at guitar, but yet i still cannot play little wing. it's frustrating like you couldn't imagine.

so, can anyone play it? how did you learn it? care to pass some knowledge on to me?

i get so frustrated that i feel like never playing again. even the intro i have problems with. i can never get a decent feeling to the part right after you hit the up/down mutted stroke (in the first seconds of the song.)

i think a big problem is i never learned music theory. does anyone have a tabbed out version of the 10 chords used (i know the srv version of the song is 10 bars repeated 10 times)

anything to help me in my epic battle with little wing will be immensely appreciated.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    I feel the same way. I'm comfortable with so many things on guitar, but little wing kicks my ass. I think part of it could be not having a decent tab.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • Use your thumb for barre chords, Jimi-style (the thumb over the two lowest strings, and the index over the other four), if you follow. It's easier to arpeggiate too, and fall into little pentatonic licks with the other fingers.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Depends on which version.
    I learnt the version Kirk Hammet plays in the Live Shit bibge adn Prge in Seattle set, whihc is simplified.
    I have teh formla SRV tab and it is much harder, lots and lots of aggresive hammer-ons, and that swing feel that is hard to cop. I have'nt tried to play a Hendrix tab, I think it is somewhere in between.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Try the clapton version.....

saw it in edmonton last weekend....quite stellar, different, but does justice to the song (and his friend)

Harrison.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Use your thumb for barre chords, Jimi-style (the thumb over the two lowest strings, and the index over the other four), if you follow. It's easier to arpeggiate too, and fall into little pentatonic licks with the other fingers.
    Great advice.

You think Little Wing is tricky try Castles Made Of Sand.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Great advice.

You think Little Wing is tricky try Castles Made Of Sand.

I found Castles easier than Little Wing.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    I always play the Mike version of this song.
  • I found Castles easier than Little Wing.
    Really? The intro is the tricky bit.. the rest of the song is easy. In both cases you use the same technique and once you have it you shouldn't have any problems (like riding a bike). Don't give up scot :p

"Make our day"
  • pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    I dont play guitarso I have a question for you guys, or 2.

1) I heard once Mike said that In hiding was a very difficult song to play for him, why?

2) In your opinion whats the toughest Pearl Jam songs to play in:
    a) Lead Guitar
    b) Rythym guitar
    c) Bass
    d) Drums
  • pouch15 wrote:
    I dont play guitarso I have a question for you guys, or 2.

1) I heard once Mike said that In hiding was a very difficult song to play for him, why?

2) In your opinion whats the toughest Pearl Jam songs to play in:
    a) Lead Guitar
    b) Rythym guitar
    c) Bass
    d) Drums
    1) The song has a lot of little changes in the arrangement that make it a bit tricky to keep strait.

2)

a) Probably "Go"... If I don't end that blistering solo on juuuust the right note to my liking my OCD kicks in and I have to do it over and over again till I get it right.

b) There are hard pearl jam songs on ryhthm guitar?.... I guess I'd say Parachutes for the dinished chords and fun time signature.

c) ...
    d) ...

"Make our day"
  • pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    1) The song has a lot of little changes in the arrangement that make it a bit tricky to keep strait.

2)

a) Probably "Go"... If I don't end that blistering solo on juuuust the right note to my liking my OCD kicks in and I have to do it over and over again till I get it right.

b) There are hard pearl jam songs on ryhthm guitar?.... I guess I'd say Parachutes for the dinished chords and fun time signature.

c) ...
    d) ...

thanks, wow, I thought Parachutes and In hidong were easy songs, but Im no trained in music so its fun to hear this things.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    too many corrections - i'll post again
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I always play the Mike version of this song.

You mean Yellow Ledbetter? ;)
  • hendrix78 wrote:
    You mean Yellow Ledbetter? ;)
    zing :p

"Make our day"
  • scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    can anyone just tab out the chord progression? like i said before i know it is a series of 10 chords, repeated 10 times.

if i get the chords, i can improvise a little bit....

speaking of that, what key is it in? maybe i could work some petatonic magic.
    scot88 wrote:
    can anyone just tab out the chord progression? like i said before i know it is a series of 10 chords, repeated 10 times.
    Remember, Hendrix down tuned a 1/2 step on most songs.
    The basic chord progression here is in standard tuning (Key is E-minor or G-major):

Em - G - Am7 - Em - Bm7 - Bb - Am7 - C - G - F - C - D (Dsus4 - D - Dsus2 - D - D)

The sus chord progression in ( ) is just the alternating ending of the progression (gives you a nice ending transition).
    Cheers . ..

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    scot88 wrote:

I'm thinking it is in G major/Em, but I am happy to be corrected also. I've nevere really found the chords to be too relevant to what is going on as far as the sound goes. The solo is based arouf the Em pentatonic at teh 12th position, but the intro and the verse are not. They are kind of modal riffs which loosely follow the chords.
    Look here.............
    http://www.sheetmusicdirect.us/search/search.do?keywords=little+wing

and you can buy either the Hendrix or the SRV version for 4 bucks, can't beat that for a bargain. I have a few tabs from that site and they are very good. You will need to have Sibelius Scorch to see them.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    break it down into little parts...say...4 measures at a time. Lots of technique in that song. :)
    I feel the same way. I'm comfortable with so many things on guitar, but little wing kicks my ass. I think part of it could be not having a decent tab.
    From the looks of it, everything on here seems to be in Times New Roman FONT (which doesn't work well for tab).
    However, if you take this and copy it into a single spaced mono format like (COURIER) everything will line up correctly.
    This is the Jimmy Hendrix Recorded Intro (I personally like the SRV version better, but this is the original).
    Remember to tune down a 1/2 step (Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb) for accuracy when playing with the CD.
    This is the recorded Intro - taken right out of a Jimi Hendrix book (SO IT'S ACCURATE).
    Have fun - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

Jimmy Hendrix (4/4 time at 54 bpm - KEY of E-minor - relative major is G-Major)

|
    12\-||
    |
    3h5p3-3
    |
    |
    12\-||
    12(12)----12
    |
    3--3
    |
    |
    12\-||
    12-12h14
    |
    4h5p--4-5-p4-5--4-4
    |
    |
    ||
    x
    12(12)\-|
    5(5)
    5----|
    |
    ||
    x
    12h14
    12h14-\-|
    5-5
    5-5
    |
    ||--0---x---0
    |-\3--3
    3-3
    0-|

|
    |
    |
    |
    5h8p5
    |
    8h10p8
    |
    |
    5----5
    5---5
    5h7p5-5-5
    (5)\|
    (7)--7--7h7--7
    7---|
    |
    7(7)--7
    5-5
    5h7-(7)\|
    7--7---7--7h9--7---7
    7---|
    |
    5--7
    |
    7--10
    10----7---|
    |-5---5
    |

|
    (7)
    8-p-6----|
    |
    7h10p7h(10)---7
    10-/-12-\-10
    |
    |
    7-/--9-\--7
    |
    |
    |
    |
    (9)
    |
    7--6
    |

|
    |
    |
    5-h-6-p-5---(5)
    6/8---8\5
    |
    |
    5--5--5
    |
    |
    7-(7)
    9----7--5--5
    5---5
    5-h-7---7/9---9\7
    5---5
    |
    |
    5h7
    5-h-7
    7-\-5--|
    |

|
    5/7
    5-\-3
    3---3
    |
    |
    |
    3-\-1
    1---1
    |
    |
    |
    5/7
    |
    |
    |
    5-\-3
    |
    5--5
    |
    |
    |
    |
    3---3-\(1)
    1--3-/-5
    5--|
    3----|

|
    |
    ||
    |
    |
    WELL,-SHE'S--||
    |---(5)-/-(7)
    0--7
    |-7--(7)
    ||
    |----5--/--7
    7h9----7
    |-7---7
    ||
    |----3--/--5
    |-7---9
    ||
    |
    |
    ||
  • amitamit Posts: 73
    I can't go a day without playing Little Wing. I remember when I was struggling with that song, seriosuly thought for a while it was impossible with all those chord changes and all. I took me months and months of practice until I could play it well.

Just take your time and look at all the different chords that the intro goes through and figure out the best way to finger those. If you do that right, then you will realise that you don't really have to muck your fingers around as much as it seems. Most of the time it's simply just barring with your index finger, and then hammering on and pulling off with the other fingers. It is pretty much essential to pay all the notes on the low E string with your thumb. Then play it really slowly, as in at a speed where you can play it perfectly, then build up the speed over time.

After the intro I pretty much just improvise the rest, because I don't know who on earth would want to memorise the entire tab! It is officially (in my books atleast) the greatest song to play on guitar.

Yeah my Pearl Jam cover band surprisingly had the most trouble with
    'In Hiding', even more than songs like Evenflow and Animal. It has heaps of changes so it's easy for one person to forget the next part etc. The bridge in Light Years is pretty annoying as well. I suppose when you are as good as Mike McCready, shredding in songs like 'Go' isn't a problem at all.
  • leethalleethal Posts: 134
    It truly is a great song to play. I can play it reasonably well, except i really struggle when using my thumb. My hands just aren't big enough; i know jimi had large hands.

To me it seems like a the notes i miss are because of this; i don't think practice would really do much good. Correct me if im wrong. That said; it is great practice to play some of the most beautiful licks ever written, can't beat jimi's tone in this one. (Except May this be love.)

There is a great instrumental of Little Wing where Jimi is playing it with a bit more agression. It actually sounds prettier in my opinion; a must hear! Its on one of his box sets. Great instrumentals of Bold as Love and Angel especially.
  • leethal wrote:
    It truly is a great song to play. I can play it reasonably well, except i really struggle when using my thumb. My hands just aren't big enough; i know jimi had large hands.

To me it seems like a the notes i miss are because of this; i don't think practice would really do much good. Correct me if im wrong. That said; it is great practice to play some of the most beautiful licks ever written, can't beat jimi's tone in this one. (Except May this be love.)

There is a great instrumental of Little Wing where Jimi is playing it with a bit more agression. It actually sounds prettier in my opinion; a must hear! Its on one of his box sets. Great instrumentals of Bold as Love and Angel especially.
    upload? :)

"Make our day"
  • I'm thinking it is in G major/Em, but I am happy to be corrected also. I've nevere really found the chords to be too relevant to what is going on as far as the sound goes. The solo is based arouf the Em pentatonic at teh 12th position, but the intro and the verse are not. They are kind of modal riffs which loosely follow the chords.
    Look here.............
    http://www.sheetmusicdirect.us/search/search.do?keywords=little+wing

and you can buy either the Hendrix or the SRV version for 4 bucks, can't beat that for a bargain. I have a few tabs from that site and they are very good. You will need to have Sibelius Scorch to see them.
    True! I just play the lead licks during the verse by 1) using my thumb on the correct root note and 2) just plain figuring out what goes where. Not much else you can do. I've played it so much that it's lodged in my brain now, but I remember it being a bitch to learn.

"Make our day"
  • leethal wrote:
    Great instrumentals of Bold as Love and Angel especially.

I agree....I LOVE that instrumental version of Bold as Love on the Hendrix box set. I prefer it to the album version w/ lyrics. The Little Wing instrumental version is really good too.
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Even Hendrix played that differently all the time.

That progression that Ian put up is the basic chord structure and there are so many ways to voice those chords.

Here's a cool Hendrix chord voicing:
    Train your fingers to hold this position, and you’ll have some fun!

Low E use thumb
    D string - Ring finger and also use that to mute the A string
    G string - leave it open and let it ring
    B string - Index finger
    High E string - Little finger

e a d g b e
    3 x 5 0 3 5

Play that cleanly,,it's not easy, but its worth it!,, then hold that structure and slide it up to the 5th fret, then down to the first fret, leaving the g string open and ringing.
    That's part of Little Wing and Castles Made of Sand. When you play it, you'll hear what I'm talking about. It's good finger exercise, too!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Actually, I was thinking last night, the solo is in Em natural scale, not pentatonic.
    The C note on the B string in the 13th psition is crucial to gettin the sound of the solo right. There are some others you can miss, but not that one.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nePm-L0aa-E

Too bad cameras weren't better then!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23TSQwamn50

Anyhow - have fun watching (No it's not me).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
  • leethalleethal Posts: 134
    upload? :)

I don't know how man sorry!