Tubes???

SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Posts: 3,371
edited November 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm going to get my Peavey Classic 50 head serviced this month and I'm considering swapping the tubes out. I don't even know where to start...it has 4 EL84s and 3 12ax7s...any suggestions?
"Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
-my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • personally i like el-34s. both my vintage marshall head and my matchless use them. i tried several differnet types of tubes and i think those amps sound the best to my ear with el-34s.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • personally i like el-34s. both my vintage marshall head and my matchless use them. i tried several differnet types of tubes and i think those amps sound the best to my ear with el-34s.

That's great to know, but EL-84 tubes can't be replaced with EL-34, at least not without re-engineering the entire amp chassis. EL-84's are the little power tubes that look like a slightly larger, longer but thin, preamp tube.

I wish I could weigh in here, but I never "got" EL-84's. I'm sure there are some EL-84 users who could recommend some tubes on here, though. I'd point you toward some preamp tubes (I LOVE Sovtek or Electro Harmonix tubes in my Mig's, or NOS RCA/Phillips in my Fenders) but it wouldn't do any good, since the power tubes have to work with the preamp tubes to get a specific tone.

The links that Paco gave you are great places to start, see what they have to say about their tubes.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    personally i like el-34s. both my vintage marshall head and my matchless use them. i tried several differnet types of tubes and i think those amps sound the best to my ear with el-34s.
    Peavey Classic 50's don't take EL34's, they run EL84's, unless you can fit it with a
    THD Yellow Jacket or Groove Tube Substi-Tube (I know they make one to convert
    6V6, 6L6, EL34, & 7591 tubes to EL84's, but I don't know that that they make one
    to convert EL84's the other way). I think you have to stick with EL84's, which are
    good sounding tubes. The best thing you can do is read up on them and see which
    EL84 seems to fit your taste best - different makes sound different.
    I had a Budda Superdrive 30 that ran EL-84's (Groove Tubes) & it sounded good.
    I put Mullard EL84 Groove Tubes in my Classic-50, and it sounds good with those.
    I had Mesa's in it, and it sounded good (Mesa generally makes higher spec tubes).
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    I generally find ehx tubes fine. That's what I have in my 18watt (el84).
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    If I were to buy ones today I'd get the new production Mullard EL84's and Tung Sol 12Ax7's for the preamp.

It depends what you want really the Tung Sol's sound terriffic to me, I've not yet tried the Mullards.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • do tubes wear out? I'm just wondering if there would be any point to replacing them with some new peavey tubes
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Yes, tubes do wear out though it's usually gradual. power tubes take the most beating and need replacing more frequently than preamp tubes. How often depends on usage and volume levels.
  • exhausted wrote:
    Yes, tubes do wear out though it's usually gradual. power tubes take the most beating and need replacing more frequently than preamp tubes. How often depends on usage and volume levels.

VERY OFTEN VERY LOUD lol...I just really like the sound of it stock...lately it just has a little less umph

also...the amp its probably damn near 20 years old and I don't know if they've ever been replaced
  • Classic 50's came with sovteks out of the factory. I'd suggest a Electro Harmonix to replace both power tube and pre amp tubes.

Peavey Classic 50's are nice pieces. Hold on to it.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Classic 50's came with sovteks out of the factory. I'd suggest a Electro Harmonix to replace both power tube and pre amp tubes.

Peavey Classic 50's are nice pieces. Hold on to it.

yeah...they seem to be nice little secret among peavey classic owners haha.

I was thinking electro harmonix as well...will it change the sound much? or do they just clean up the sound a little?
  • Well, Stone occasionally plays a Peavey Delta Blues 2x10, so there's something to be said for Peavey tube amps...

Which reminds me, I'm pretty sure Stone used Tung Sol power tubes in his Delta Blues. It's hard to remember, it's been 4 or 5 years.

If you really do play quite a bit, for long periods of time and at moderate to high volume, then the power tubes should probably be replaced every 12 to 18 months. By that I mean: at least two or three times a week, for an hour or more, at a volume to compete with a drumset. If you play 5 or more times a week, for a couple hours, at a volume to fill a large bar or small club, then you could burn through power tubes every 6 to 12 months. General rule of thumb is to replace preamp tubes with every other set of power tubes.

If it has been many years since the tubes were replaced, I'd recommend having an amp tech go over the amp to make sure it's performing within safe perameters. I don't know what the bias setup is on these amps, but if it's possible to bias it, get that done with the new tubes.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    absolutely get ALL the tubes replaced - and if it's never seen a tech you'll
    want to do that too - you'll probably/eventually need to get the filter caps
    & such replaced (thats what went in my Classic-50). i think a visit to your
    local amp tech a good idea - he may get it sounding better than before.
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • yeah...they seem to be nice little secret among peavey classic owners haha.

I was thinking electro harmonix as well...will it change the sound much? or do they just clean up the sound a little?

The couple websites that PACO posted above have good reviews of each tube. So you can start reading there. Honestly if I remember correctly Sovteks when pushed hard get on the fizzy side. (Which yes that is a issue with most EL84's). I just don't think it's as noticeable in the Electro's.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • thanks for the all the input everybody..you've really helped a lot!
  • I don't know how much you want to spend, but if you want to go crazy on your power tubes, try a matched quad of NOS EL84/6BQ5's from a place called Cold Springs Electrical Works in Belchertown, Mass. They will set you back around $180.00, but your amp will sing with those and a good set of NOS 12 AX7's in the pre-amp section.