Valve JR: Bitmo or Mercury Mag?

SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Posts: 3,371
edited November 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Bitmo is a lot cheaper...but what's the trade off? I've heard it doesn't eliminate the hum but I don't really know much about them
"Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
-my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    bitmo just sells kits that alter various components of the circuit itself, like adding a tone control or whatever. i have their tone control added to mine and i really like it.

if you have a version 1 amp, the hum is coming from the fact they used AC voltage for the tube heaters instead of DC. the later ones use DC and are totally quiet. i don't think either kit really addresses that.

mercury magnetics changes the transformers in the amp (and i assume some other things) which is basically akin to a heart transplant. better transformers equals better tone essentially.

mercury transformers are pretty much top of the line.

i did replace the output transformer in mine but not with mercury.
  • exhausted probably knows for sure, I haven't really followed the latest version of the Valve Junior, but didn't ephiphone alreayd put a better transformer in it? Maybe no mercury but some improvement?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    yes, the latest ones have a slightly beefier output transformer from what i understand.
  • Mercury Magnetics Transformers are unbelievable. They are well worth the price if you want to turn your Valve Jr. into a really smokin class-A amp.