So I want to put a humbucker in my telecaster...

SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Posts: 3,371
edited September 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Its a mexican telecaster...I want to put a humbucker in the neck position...anyone have any recomendations? I was thinking of putting the same one they use in this one :

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Telecaster-HS-Electric-Guitar?sku=511593

but I don't know...

oh and by the way...my band is looking for a singer...you can here us here:

http://www.myspace.com/trevorrowband
"Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
-my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The stock Fender American pickups tend to not be the best quality. Duncan's have a great reputation.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Seymour Duncan makes single coil sized mini-humbuckers for telecasters (Hot-Rails and Little '59).
    Here's what he makes for tele's: click here:Duncan Telecaster Pickups
    I actually put a strat mini H/B in my tele because I like the smoother tone/response.
    I just had to shave it down a bit to make it fit (they're bigger).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • oh I forgot to mention that the bodywas already routed for a humbucker (it still had the regular tele neck pickup though) when I bought it which I thought was very strange
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    what are you looking for out of the humbucker tone wise?

we all have our favorites, Seymour Duncan is one of the more prevalent names.

Then you have WCR, Lindy Fralin, Lollar, dimarzio, harmonic design, Rio Grande, etc.

check out http://www.projectguitar.com/ref/pickup.htm
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I'd recommend a chrome-covered version of Duncan's '59. It's a nice sound for a Tele neck. You may end up wanting something with higher output in the bridge, too... just to match/even up the outputs between the pickups.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Andy Summers from the Police had an old Gibson PAF in the neck, and a Strat pickup in the bridge.
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • i've got a Schecter PT Tele, with Duncan pickups, a 59er in the neck and a JB in the body...that thing plays hot! I love it.
    "It's all happening"
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    wolfetones-the best pickups ever
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Check out some lidy fralins. Good Sh!t
    Makes much more sense.................
    To Live......................
    In the present tense.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'd recommend a chrome-covered version of Duncan's '59. It's a nice sound for a Tele neck. You may end up wanting something with higher output in the bridge, too... just to match/even up the outputs between the pickups.

ahem...s90... cough.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I'd recommend a chrome-covered version of Duncan's '59. It's a nice sound for a Tele neck. You may end up wanting something with higher output in the bridge, too... just to match/even up the outputs between the pickups.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    ahem...s90... cough.

haha, you two haven't changed a bit! :D

Pretty much what I would suggest, too, although I like that Tele twang with the bridge pup.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I dunno, I thought the S-90 had a pretty good twang to it in the bridge of my old Tele...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Have a look at Guitarfetish too. Their products are good and they're great value for the price. They do mini humbuckers too and have pickguards to fit both types. I've heard a lot of good things about their Fender style Split Coil Humbucker.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/humbuckers.html
  • I dunno, I thought the S-90 had a pretty good twang to it in the bridge of my old Tele...

I actually have an s-90 I bought what seems like 40 years ago when I started talking to you guys. I never put one in a Tele, but I did a few Strats.
    I have a Tele body hanging around and I should stick one in there!

Another option for you is a Fralin Unbucker
    Look down the page here:
    http://www.fralinpickups.com/humbuckers.asp

It's a humbucker with a coil split, but one coil is more powerful than the other, so it sounds more Strat-like when you split it.
    You would need a push pull switch and a steady hand with a soldering gun, or a pro.
    That way you have a Humbucker and decent single coil sound, too.

You can also get a 4 or 5 way switch and wire in a ton of options for sounds if you want to get more complicated.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Another option for you is a Fralin Unbucker
    Look down the page here:
    http://www.fralinpickups.com/humbuckers.asp

It's a humbucker with a coil split, but one coil is more powerful than the other, so it sounds more Strat-like when you split it.
    You would need a push pull switch and a steady hand with a soldering gun, or a pro.
    That way you have a Humbucker and decent single coil sound, too.

You can also get a 4 or 5 way switch and wire in a ton of options for sounds if you want to get more complicated.

Yeah I like the Unbuckers because of thier clarity too. For whatever reason my 490's get a little muddy, they work well for rock but I don't like them clean.

good to see you Bob... :D and MIG too wow.
  • NNOOOOOOOO!!!

The Tele neck pup is one of the best sounding pups in the guitar world (IMHO).
    Leave it there (or swap it for a US standard version).
    Brixton Academy, London: 14/07/93
    Wembley Arena, London: 29/10/96
    MEN Arena, Manchester: 04/06/00
    Air Canada Centre, Toronto: 05/10/00
    ISS Dome, Dusseldorf: 21/06/07

Brad: Phoenix Theatre, Toronto: 31/10/02