Not For You settings

SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Posts: 3,371
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Does anyone know what amp settings is Vedder using on Not for You?
"Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
-my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ummm....slight overdrive?
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    From Synergy gear pages:

So if he uses no effect pedals live, and no Vox guitars live, then how does he get his distortion?? Well, it's actually a little bit purer approach. First of all, most of the time Ed plays his guitars using only the front (neck) pickup. This pickup typically has a thicker, muddier tone due to its position along the length of the string. And so with the positioning of that pickup, it's a little easier to "overdrive" your amp with your strumming/picking technique. Second, Ed sets his amp tone by first dialing in a loud, clean, full tone. (Clean being the important word there.) He adjusts his input gain right to the point where the "clean" tone is on the verge of distorting slightly. Once this is set, his sound (clean or dirty) is controlled purely with his hands, changing with the intensity he chooses to strum the strings with. If he picks more delicately, he can achieve a cleaner tone. If he picks harder and more aggressively, he can achieve a distorted tone. Cool, huh?

that's pretty much how Ed plays all his parts in songs, I think anyway.
  • I can get that tone with my (semi) shitty amplifier and a rat. Now I use that method of playing lightly for clean sounds and strumming harder for overdrive all the time.
    When this just feels like spinning plates.