Old PEavy AMP

SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Posts: 3,371
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was in a pawn shop the other day and I came across an old Peavy Amp, I believe it was a classic 30 or 50 for $250, i plugged it in and it works and everything, but I don't know all that much about amps so i'm asking for advice. Should I get it or not?
"Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
-my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Well, it's a pretty big difference between a Classic 30 and a Classic 50, and there are two models of Classic 50 (2x12" and 4x10"). The price is about right for a Classic 30, and a tad low for a Classic 50. This, assuming everything is functioning correctly, no problems, no blatant cosmetic or structural damage.

The Peavey Classic-series amps are actually very good amps, great bang-for-your-buck tube amps. They are Peavey's adaption of the Fender Hot Rod and Blues amp series, which are themselves good gigging tube amps.

Read through some of these for more info:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Peavey/Classic_30-01.html
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Peavey/Classic_50_212-01.html
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Peavey/Classic_50_410-01.html

Now, whether you should buy it or not... that's a subjective call. They are good amps, but they have a specific sound and fit certain applications better than others. A Ford Taurus is a good car... is it the right car for you? Amps are the same... there are good, there are bad, but which amp you should get is based on who you are, what other gear you have, and what sound you are chasing.

But read the Harmony Central reviews... they will tell you what you could expect, if nothing else.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I could of swore that new classic 30's only comes with a single 12, and I could of swore they went in the $300-350 range. And the classic 50's are the ones that come in the 2-12 and 4-10 states (they also used to come in a head form). If you did some ebay shopping, you could probably find a classic 30 around $200, but $250 doesn't sound that bad. The classic series, have great tube tone.

Does it happen to have yellow tweed, or the black tweed. Peavey went thru a period about 4 or 5 years ago, where they discontinued the yellow tweed, for the black tweed (it was horrible looking).
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • FYI: also even though this is not that important, and you should use what ever tone suits you best. In the 2000 tour Stone had two or three classic 30s on stage with him.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by All Those Yesterdays
    FYI: also even though this is not that important, and you should use what ever tone suits you best. In the 2000 tour Stone had two or three classic 30s on stage with him.

Close, same series, they were Delta Blues. One model up from the Classic 30's. they come in 1x15 and 2x10. Delta Blues adds a tremolo to the classic 30 pre amp, but keeps the 30 watt 4x EL84 power stage.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?itemid=27870

The classic 30 is a great amp as is the DB, I believe I sold one or two used for that same price, It's a good bargain in an amp IMHO. I think you get more for your money there than in the Fender Blues/Pro Jr.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • There are 2 versions of the Peavey Classic series. There was a version that came out in the late-70's/early-80's that had solid state pre-amps and 50W tube power-amps in a 2×12 combo. They looked like your typical Peavey combo from the 80's (black tolex and grill cloth with the aluminum trim on the sides and the jagged Peavey logo). Alot of people hated those amps but many people like them for their clean sound. As a result, they were very popular with country (and some jazz) players.

In the 90's Peavey came out with a newer, all-tube version of the Classic Series that had that vintage "Fender Tweed" look but used EL84 power-tubes (like a Vox but not Class A). They are one of the BEST sounding amps for their price. You would be surprised how many well-known guitarists use them in the studio. Having said that, some people have complained that they're not the most reliable amps for constant gigging/touring. Apparently, the tube-sockets are soldered right onto the circuit-board which causes problems with heat.

Some guys that I know used a Peavey Delta Blues version of the newer Classic series to record some demos.

You can check out a sample at:
    http://www.cbgartistdevelopment.com/sound/allthatur.mp3

It's actually quite a versatile amp.
    www.PintoMusic.com
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • you guys are all awesome, thank you very much :)
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
    Originally posted by PintoMusic
    There was a version that came out in the late-70's/early-80's that had solid state pre-amps and 50W tube power-amps in a 2×12 combo. They looked like your typical Peavey combo from the 80's (black tolex and grill cloth with the aluminum trim on the sides and the jagged Peavey logo). Alot of people hated those amps but many people like them for their clean sound. As a result, they were very popular with country (and some jazz) players.

Kinda like the Music Man amps... great cleans...

RE: the heat issue, some Peavey Classic-series amps are equipped with fans that help keep things at a reasonable temperature.

I do know that compared to the Fender Hot Rod/Blues amps, the Peavey tends to have more bass response, and the bass is a bit loose. I would love to hear any one of them with aftermarket speakers, like a Celestion V30 12" or a Weber California 10". In fact, if I was in the market for a giggable amp right now, I'd be interested in the Delta Blues 2x10" with Weber Californias.
  • Originally posted by All Those Yesterdays
    FYI: also even though this is not that important, and you should use what ever tone suits you best. In the 2000 tour Stone had two or three classic 30s on stage with him.

Wow thanks, I don't think I've ever scene a black delta blues. Ahhh tremolo, can you ever have enough. Amazing how it all does the same thing, yet it always sounds different between different amps, and pedals etc..

My dunlop tremolo pedal tone is left field compared to a buddy of mines tremolo thats in his minuteman amp. Which both are different then the tremolo in his old twin. I really think tremolo is my favorite effect of all time.

• Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    RE: the heat issue, some Peavey Classic-series amps are equipped with fans that help keep things at a reasonable temperature.

I believe only the Classic 50 and 100 heads came with the fans. The combos, although just as vulnerable, have to rely on convection cooling like everyone else.
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    I would love to hear any one of them with aftermarket speakers, like a Celestion V30 12" or a Weber California 10". In fact, if I was in the market for a giggable amp right now, I'd be interested in the Delta Blues 2x10" with Weber Californias.

That's why I've always wished they made the Classic 30 and Delta Blues in head formats as well.
    www.PintoMusic.com
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Originally posted by PintoMusic
    I believe only the Classic 50 and 100 heads came with the fans. The combos, although just as vulnerable, have to rely on convection cooling like everyone else.

I know that the Classic 50 4x10" has a fan. I'm not sure about the 2x12" Classic 50 or the Classic 30.

The main reason, I would guess, that you can't get one of those small amps in a head-only version is that they lose their portability. One of the big reasons why people like little tube amps is they're a lot more portable. Personally, I'd love to have a small tube head, so I could use any external speaker cabinet (especially sealed-back cabs) that I wanted.