tele pickups

SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Posts: 3,371
edited January 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a mexi Fender Telecaster and I want to replace the pick ups...but I don't know what I want to replace them with, at this guitar shop downtown they have a set of Fender Vintage pickups for $100, and I found a set of seymor duncans for a little bit more on the internet, i don't know what to get...any advice?
"Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
-my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I would guess that the vintage fender ones sound a little worse than the ones you have now. Like they will sound similar anyway. Someone is gonna recommend stacked humbuckers I am pretty sure. I can't tell you much about these but someone will.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    depends what you want them to sound like. what's lacking in the current ones that you want fix?
  • I'd recommend Seymour Duncan... a Lil' 59 in the bridge, and a Quarter-Pounder in the neck.

But I don't care for the traditional Tele sound.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • exhausted wrote:
    depends what you want them to sound like. what's lacking in the current ones that you want fix?

there's just a little bit too much twang for my liking
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    http://www.harmonicdesign.net offers some of my favorites. It kind of depends on how hot you want it.

The super 90 in the bridge, and the vintage plus chrome in the neck for fatter hotter output

or the 54 special in the bridge and the chrometone in the neck for a more vintage sound.

Kinman makes some ridiculously good ones but they are expensive as balls,

obviously theres Seymour Duncan, Tom Anderson, John Suhr (V60's) all good ones.

You'll also want to check out lindy fralin (ebay's a good site to look)

Van Zandt

Rio Grande.

and Dimarzio virtual vintage.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • there's just a little bit too much twang for my liking

Well, then... a Lil' 59 and a Q-P would fit you nicely.

You could also get a coil-tap for the humbucker, and have that twang available.
  • TavTav Posts: 63
    Well, then... a Lil' 59 and a Q-P would fit you nicely.

You could also get a coil-tap for the humbucker, and have that twang available.

Whats the point in a lil' 59...it's defying what a telecaster is about? I was considering those picks up but then I tought no...it's a Telecaster and therefore should sound like on...not a half arsed Les Paul. Try Seymour Duncans website http://www.seymourduncan.com they have lots of info for helping you find the right pickups. I bought my Seymour Hot for Tele <Hotter more modern sounding yet still distinctly telecaster sounding> pick ups from http://www.warmoth.com.
  • Tav wrote:
    Whats the point in a lil' 59...it's defying what a telecaster is about? I was considering those picks up but then I tought no...it's a Telecaster and therefore should sound like on...not a half arsed Les Paul.

I love everything about a Tele, EXCEPT the sound.

So, my Tele sounds like a half arsed Les Paul.

Sorry.
  • TavTav Posts: 63
    hmmm maybe I'll get a half arsed Les Paul sounding Tele in future...lol...but just now it's all about some twang and some grit!
    Tav wrote:
    hmmm maybe I'll get a half arsed Les Paul sounding Tele in future...lol...but just now it's all about some twang and some grit!

what about Dimarzio's pre B1 bridge p/u? Twang and Growl.

or this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22670&item=3776252827&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    what about Dimarzio's pre B1 bridge p/u? Twang and Growl.

or this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22670&item=3776252827&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

The P-90 is always a great option...

Hey, Paco (or Greg or Bob, or anyone else), have you ever seen a lil' humbucker like the S/D 59 with a coil tap? I'm wondering if the output and sound would be twangy and Tele-like?
    The P-90 is always a great option...

Hey, Paco (or Greg or Bob, or anyone else), have you ever seen a lil' humbucker like the S/D 59 with a coil tap? I'm wondering if the output and sound would be twangy and Tele-like?

seymour duncan makes several I'm more than certain, all you need is a 4 conductor wiring scheme and a mini pot or push/pull. I know the Lil Screamin Deamon can be wired like that. It's pretty hot, I don't know how tele like it would be but basic physics should give you some semblence of single coil tone.
    i hate the traditional tele bridge sound but i would imagine a tapped HB would deliver suitably. i had the series/parallel wiring on mine for a while and it was pretty hee haw twangy.
    http://www.riograndepickups.com/3.html#twangneck

mig, the Twangbucker from Rio Grande
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://www.riograndepickups.com/3.html#twangneck

mig, the Twangbucker from Rio Grande

that's a really cool kit. too bad they don't have it lefty.
  • Those look like a Keith Richards wet-dream...

I'm not looking for a twang, I was just wondering if a little humbucker would be big enough to put out some tone if it was tapped.

On a side note: I played a funky old Gibson a few weeks ago, called a 335 Deluxe (or 335 "something"). It was a double-cut solid-body guitar, two humbuckers, four controls (2-V, 2-T), a 3-way switch for the pups, and a little two-way switch that tapped the bridge pup. Tune-O-Matic with a stop tailpiece. I'd never seen one quite like it, and it definitely wasn't a DC Les Paul, either. The only reason I mention it is that the tapped bridge pup had a little Tele twang to it... anyways, I'm done now.