pickups for mexican tele

SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Posts: 3,371
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I want to keep them single coil...I was think about just going with the Vintage Custom shop vintage...but I'm wondering if anyone on here has any opinion
"Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
-my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I want to keep them single coil...I was think about just going with the Vintage Custom shop vintage...but I'm wondering if anyone on here has any opinion

Oh I think EVERYBODY here has an opinion! :D

First thing to think about is what sound you're looking for. If you're looking for that quacking blues strat sound then they might be the ones.
    I tend to go for Lindy Fralin pickups because you can call them on the phone and ask what you're looking for, and they can help advise, make you a set or send a stock set, and if you don't like them, you can send them back but I've never sent any back!

Think about doing the volume and tone pots, too if they're older. They can help goose the sound, too. But if not, a set of pickups is your best bang for the buck. (ok, 225 bucks)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

First thing to think about is what sound you're looking for. If you're looking for that quacking blues strat sound then they might be the ones.
    I tend to go for Lindy Fralin pickups because you can call them on the phone and ask what you're looking for, and they can help advise, make you a set or send a stock set, and if you don't like them, you can send them back but I've never sent any back!

Think about doing the volume and tone pots, too if they're older. They can help goose the sound, too. But if not, a set of pickups is your best bang for the buck. (ok, 225 bucks)

yeah I LOVE the way the new american tele's sound so that's the direction I'm steering for...I wish I had to money to just buy one of them.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    yeah I LOVE the way the new american tele's sound so that's the direction I'm steering for...I wish I had to money to just buy one of them.

Yeah, I hear the new 2008 models are supposed to be amazing.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:

yeah they're rediculous...my buddy says the new jazz bass is amazing as well...fender seems to have really stepped it up this year
  • DOSW wrote:
    See now I feel left out, I just bought a new American Series strat last year! And they change it up on us. What the hell is this!

Now tbh, I didn't see a big difference b/w mine and the OLD American Standard Series.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i do like the pickups that came in my 52 reissue.

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0992119000

low output but they have the typical tele sound.

i have SCNs in my other tele. they're louder and darker.
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    I thought Mexican telecasters were essentially the same as American ones, just different locations for the factory.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Dogman3 wrote:
    I thought Mexican telecasters were essentially the same as American ones, just different locations for the factory.
    Well they are similar, but they're not the same. The Mexi is a lot like the American but there is a difference in the quality and craftsmenship. The US setup is better than the Mexis (but sometimes i'd question if you would go to the extra expense based on that alone because i probably wouldn't.)

It depends on what you want. If you wanna buy a very nice guitar and have it sounding great straight up, then sure, the extra cost of the US tele can be justified. If you are keen to do your own upgrade/customization work then a Mexican tele is wicked value.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    whats your price range?
    if you are willing to spend some money, i would suggest wolfetones. these are by far the nicest pus being made right now.
    http://www.wolfetone.com/
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    nope.. no opinion whatsoever. :D

Depends on the sound you want.

Lindy Fralin, Jason Lollar and John Suhr are my favorite strat pup makers in the high end. I also like Harmonic Design and a few others there are a ton of great brands.

In the not as high end. Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan have good options.

The Fender 57/62's are pretty decent in my 62RI and I also like the Fender SCN's just fine. THey are a little darker than most strat pickups and that can help in a bright amp.

have fun

http://www.projectguitar.com/ref/pickup.htm
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.