'72 Thinline telecaster reissue question

SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Posts: 3,371
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Which are better, the Mexican or the Japanese models?

and I was also wondering if the Japanese did a reissue of the '72 thinline in the 1980s

thanks
"Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
-my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ThingFishThingFish Posts: 10
    I'm not sure which is better, but I've heard nothing but good things about the Mexican ones.
    "There is only one thing I dread: not to be worthy of my sufferings."
    -Dostoevksy
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Does anyone know the fender model that is identitical to this Suhr? The singer from OAR plays it if that helps anyone. It's not the TC 90 but it's close. Thanks in advance.

http://www.guitar-licks.net/image/suhr1
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    I was also wondering if the Japanese did a reissue of the '72 thinline in the 1980s

I think they did a handful but don't get caught up in the hype. I've owned four different '80s Fender MIJ Tele's in the past and they were all crap. They looked great but had terrible action and/or wouldn't intonate properly. I took them all to the guy who has made the rest of my guitars sing - he polished and levelled the frets, adjusted the truss rod, and tweaked everything he could - but you can't polish a turd. Sure, Fender Japan made some great guitars back then. Some of them are still great guitars now. Some, not all. Not even most.

My MIJ '72 Thinline from '95 or so, on the other hand, is killer. Looks great, sounds great, feels great. Is that because of the year it was made? Nope, just got lucky.

My mate's 2005 MIM '72 Deluxe is also killer. Are they all? Nope, just got lucky.

I'm not going to tell you to go out and try everything before you buy it because, God knows, I don't. I've bought 90% of my gear online, that's just the economic reality of guitar shopping in Australia since the stores charge at least three times more for American guitars here than they do there. But, if you don't try them first, three times out of five they're gonna be rubbish regardless of when or where they were made. Otherwise, people would hang on to them. No-one likes selling a guitar, do they?