Heartbreaking! Bet you've never done this...

chicago23xchicago23x Posts: 53
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
So about 8 years ago when I was 17.... my dad comes home with this mint condition 79' Gibson SG... one exactly like Eddies! I mean exactly... he got it at a garage sale for $15 dollars off some old lady who had no Idea what she had... it was collecting dust in her closet for decades...

after enjoying the fruits of it for a short while... one day... I walk into my room where I left it on the floor in the dark...

and I step on it right were the neck meets the peghead...

Crack!

Fuck!

Really, Fuck!

ah... well... I took the Humbuckers off and threw them on my Strat... so not a total loss....
Hell; a paticular realm of the after life where they never play Pearl Jam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    chicago23x wrote:
    So about 8 years ago when I was 17.... my dad comes home with this mint condition 79' Gibson SG... one exactly like Eddies! I mean exactly... he got it at a garage sale for $15 dollars off some old lady who had no Idea what she had... it was collecting dust in her closet for decades...

after enjoying the fruits of it for a short while... one day... I walk into my room where I left it on the floor in the dark...

and I step on it right were the neck meets the peghead...

Crack!

Fuck!

Really, Fuck!

ah... well... I took the Humbuckers off and threw them on my Strat... so not a total loss....

You know, we have these crazy things called Glue and Clamps right?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • chicago23xchicago23x Posts: 53
    actually I did clamp it for a while... but It just wasn't the same.... so I stripped it for my strat...
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    You know, we have these crazy things called Glue and Clamps right?
    Rossington played on his cracked LP for how many years? :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • chicago23xchicago23x Posts: 53
    yeah... I just found the clamp really annoying when playing on the first three frets... that's why I scrapped it...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    chicago23x wrote:
    yeah... I just found the clamp really annoying when playing on the first three frets... that's why I scrapped it...

You know, you can take it to a luthier, get it fixed, and it would be just fine. Broken SG necks and the headstock is almost as common as Aqua Net in the 80's
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,135
    yeah i broke the headstocks off of my les paul and my flying v and it was like $130 to have them glued back on. only problem is it took about a month for everything to solidify. i think they play better now than before. you can't even tell they were broken because the guy did such a great job with the finish. i am trying like hell not to do it to my sg as well.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • how the fuck does this happen? i would probably kill myself if this happened to me. get a damn case.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Yeah, one time I knocked over my guitar stand with my Les Paul and the neck broke right at the headstock. I honestly cried. One of the saddest days of my life. But I got it fixed and it was like brand new again.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    It's more sad that you didn't get it fixed right than that it broke in the first place.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,135
    how the fuck does this happen? i would probably kill myself if this happened to me. get a damn case.

my v was leaning up against my dresser and my roommate at the time slammed the front door and it made the guitar slide off the dresser and it hit headstock first on the hardwood floor. i did not have a case at the time because it was very expensive to get a big ass case for a flying v that i was not gigging at the time (i was a broke college kid). believe me i bought one when i got it repaired.

the les paul WAS IN THE CASE when it broke. it fell a distance of about 18 inches from the back of my truck and did a titanic headfirst dive into my driveway, which is on a pretty steep incline. i had my sg and epi les paul in each hand when the gibson les paul shifted and slid towards me and i could not keep it from falling because my hands were full. i picked it up and looked at the case and there was barely a scratch on it. i took it inside and looked at it and about shit myself, i knew right away what was wrong with it. i was VERY depressed. i got up early the next morning and called the guy who sold it to me and he knew something was wrong by the sound of my voice. he said "whats wrong" and i said " you know that les paul you sold me last month..." and he goes "you fuckin broke the headstock off didn't you??" and i was like "how did you know that?" and he says that he has had that happen to several people he knows. i know that it is not as valuable now for resale purposes, but its my baby and i would never ever consider selling it. besides i think it plays better now anyway.

so thats how easy it can happen, in a case or not...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    A similar thing happened to my good buddy's 1964 Martin 0-14. Mahogany, just like Ed's. Slid off his bed while he was on the phone, put an ugly hole right in the top below the bridge. It was an expensive fix, but you can't throw away a vintage mahogany Martin.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.