Questions on music theory....

chicago23xchicago23x Posts: 53
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
okay.... looking for a little bit of guidance from some of you Jedi Masters....

I've been writing alot of rythem and Tabbin' out PJ for like ten years now....

but I'm just starting now to educate myself in music theory and try to improve my lead and improvisional ability....

so far I've just memorized my fretboards notes backwards and fowards and just barely touched on the Major Scale.... I get the concept of the Major Scale... but.... I have questions paticularly about using it to play leads....

So say a song is in the Key of C... and the rythem guitarist is say playing three chords in that key....

do you have to stick to the C scale with the leads.... or are you supposed to switch to another scale corresponding with the paticalur chord being played at the time....?

and... are you supposed to stick to your scale religiously... or can you hit some off notes as long as you don't emphasize on them...?
Hell; a paticular realm of the after life where they never play Pearl Jam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hey I saw this over at giventowail too.. (always a good idea to post threads in both forums)
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    there was a big thread on this called "Music Theory throgh Pearl Jam" a few months back........go to "Search" and look for it, this is exactly what was discussed
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • cool... thanks...
  • Hey I saw this over at giventowail too.. (always a good idea to post threads in both forums)

yeah... usually there is only a handful of people in this forum... so I thought I'd get more from Giventowail... but I gotta check out that previous thread here... sounds like it should be good... thanks again...