Options

Pedals question

frenchmanfrenchman Posts: 5
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi.

Can add a pedal to any guitar and any amp ?

thanx alot
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    sure for the most part.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Theoretically...

For instance, I've used an MXR Dyna-Comp on bass a lot, with good results, and I played guitar through a PA head for quite a while. But it's all just signals, effects, and amplification. The problems you run into are frequency response and clarity... but you won't know until you try. The only thing I'd be careful of, mixing and matching instruments, FX, and amps is running bass through guitar amps... the super-low frequencies may damage guitar amps. So be careful! Also, active basses and powered keyboards will have a hotter signal, so keep your volume down until you find a safe level, they're much stronger than a guitar... by the same token, electric pianos like Fender Rhodes are weak signals, because their pickup networks are passive (like electric guitars) but they have a lot more pickups (depending on the number of keys).

But have fun playing around with stuff. Keyboards are another fun thing to run through amps and pedals... also electronic pianos (like Fender Rhodes). My favorite on piano is delay/echo. Also, most bass amps and keyboard amps are the most versatile amps out there, they have full-range response. You can use them for keyboards, bass, guitar, acoustic guitar, violin/fiddle, anything. In fact, little bass combo amps make the best acoustic guitar amps, in my opinion, one with like 100-200 watts and a 15" driver with a tweeter. My first bass amp was a Crate B-100, and it was a great acoustic guitar amp.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.