Pick or fingerstyle

Stingray MattStingray Matt Posts: 24
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, which is your preferred method of playing bass?

Mine is fingerstyle, picking is for noses...!
Josh, turn these lights out, it's a fuckin rock concert...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BufaloBufalo Posts: 32
    fingers, absolutely.
  • ExodusExodus Posts: 212
    well... i think there is a time and a place for both...
    i like the sound that ffingers get better...
    but, being a novice bass player, i cant get the speed or agility that i can with a pick.
    Between the conception and the creation

Between the emotion and the response

Falls the shadow.
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    Depends. If I'm playing punk, I use a pick. If I'm playing country (or anything else really) I use my fingers.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pick is punchy, VERY present. Fingers give a mellower, rounder, fuller sound. For different bands, or even different songs for the same band, I'll switch back and forth. If it's a very driving song, I'll tend to use a pick. If it's a mellower tune, or something needing a fuller (if less defined) sound, then I'll use fingers. Hell, I've been known to switch back and forth between, say, verses and choruses in the same song. It's all what the song needs.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    When I play bass, I use the fingers.... just because I don't get to do that playing guitar :)

BTW my bass player switches even within songs, and I'm glad he does. Helps set the atmosphere of a certain passage better...
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • KwyjiboKwyjibo Posts: 662
    fiiiingers
    although picks are sometimes useful
    The most remarkable thing about you standing in the doorway, is that its you, and that you're standing in the doorway.

I write down good reasons to freeze to death in my spiral ring notebook. But in the long tresses of your hair--I am a babbling brook.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    both, but fingers mostly. Lately I've been thinking about getting some customized slipon pics, especially, like Zappa used.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.