What do you think sounds best?

trey_strey_s Posts: 17
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, I would just like to know what the main difference is between the 6L6 power tubes and the EL34's.

Thanx.
SLAY THE UNBLELIEVERS!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by trey_s
    Ok, I would just like to know what the main difference is between the 6L6 power tubes and the EL34's.

Thanx.

Sound. For 6L6 sound, listen to a Fender Twin or Bassman or Super Reverb or Deluxe etc.

For EL-34 think British amps, like Marshall, Orange, and Hiwatt.

American Amps tend to be Glassier with lots of clean headroom, British amps tend to be warmer with lots of wool in the sound, they break up earlier as a general rule. Hiwatts have thier own sound however a very chimy crisp clean on the one hand and a full out monster when pushed with lots of presence think (Townsend), a little different than the Marshall sound. Orange is just a brilliant ballsy british amp with lots of character.

I don't really have to tell you about Marshall, Jimmy Paige and Jimmy Hendrix do it so much better than I do.

If you really want to hear a 6L6 shine pull out some bluesy stuff like BB King or Stevie Ray Vaughn.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • trey_strey_s Posts: 17
    Ok, I forgot to mention that I have a Marshall JCM 900 with 6L6's in them and I was just wondering what kind of sound the 3L34's would give my amp.
    SLAY THE UNBLELIEVERS!!!
  • trey_strey_s Posts: 17
    bump
    SLAY THE UNBLELIEVERS!!!