Standby.......?

trey_strey_s Posts: 17
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Will it your hurt your amp if you unplug the guitar without first turning the amp on standby?

Thanx
SLAY THE UNBLELIEVERS!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• trey_s wrote:
    Will it your hurt your amp if you unplug the guitar without first turning the amp on standby?

Two things...

1) If you unplug your guitar with the amp still all the way on, the jack will momentarily short out the cable end, causing a "Pop" noise. This noise can damage the speakers in your amp. It's not a HUGE deal... but it's something I'd never take a risk on. If you have some way of muting your signal between the guitar and the amp (like most tuner pedals), you can do that instead. But it's that "pop" that you want to avoid.

2) If you are shutting down your amp, it's always a good idea to leave the amp powered on, but in standby, for 30 to 60 seconds before turning it all the way off. This lets the capacitors drain a little, and prolongs tube life.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • trey_strey_s Posts: 17
    ok, so if im using my wireless set up and i just flip my switch to mute that should keep it from making the popping noise
    SLAY THE UNBLELIEVERS!!!
  • trey_s wrote:
    ok, so if im using my wireless set up and i just flip my switch to mute that should keep it from making the popping noise

Yep.

You just want to avoid having a bare cable sending signal to the amp.

Why the question?
  • trey_strey_s Posts: 17
    Thanx i appreciate the help....Well I was thinking about when i'm playing live with my band and having to switch guitars frequently, it would be a pain to have to go back on forth turning the amp on and off standby. Also, I've seen guys in professional bands just unplug their guitars while switching them and noticed that no one was flipping their amps on and off standby while they were doing so.
    SLAY THE UNBLELIEVERS!!!
  • trey_s wrote:
    Thanx i appreciate the help....Well I was thinking about when i'm playing live with my band and having to switch guitars freaquently, it would be a pain to have to go back on forth turning the amp on and off standby. Also, I've seen guys in professional bands just unplug their guitars while switching them and noticed that no one was flipping their amps on and off standby while they were doing so.

I'd venture to guess they probably use either a tuner pedal or a volume pedal for that. Most people (besides the big pro's) use tuners or volume pedals when swapping guitars. The big pro's use wireless systems, and have guitar techs who make all that happen.
  • trey_s wrote:
    Thanx i appreciate the help....Well I was thinking about when i'm playing live with my band and having to switch guitars frequently, it would be a pain to have to go back on forth turning the amp on and off standby. Also, I've seen guys in professional bands just unplug their guitars while switching them and noticed that no one was flipping their amps on and off standby while they were doing so.

FYI, Get a tuner or a A/B/Y pedal or something. I personally know how annoying it is when I'm watching the band in front of mine playing, they I hear that fanastic pop going thru the PA. Its just being polite and professional!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • While were talking about standby and tube life, what is the order of things I should do when turning my amp off and on?

It's a tube amp and has a mains switch and a standby switch. I usually turn both switches on to start my amp. Never one then the other. When I turn off my amp I just hit them both down at once. I hear this little click then and it kinda freaks me out like something is getting wrecked. SO what is the proper usage of the standby switch?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • While were talking about standby and tube life, what is the order of things I should do when turning my amp off and on?

It's a tube amp and has a mains switch and a standby switch. I usually turn both switches on to start my amp. Never one then the other. When I turn off my amp I just hit them both down at once. I hear this little click then and it kinda freaks me out like something is getting wrecked. SO what is the proper usage of the standby switch?

Power on: Turn the Main Switch on first. Let it warm up for a minute. Then flip on the Standby.

Power off: Do the inverse. Put it in Standby, let it cool off for a minute, then hit the Main Switch.

Powering off in this way is more important than powering up, but it's a good idea to do both. I usually set my amp up first thing, and power it up in standby, then connect everything else, and tune... then switch the Standby, and the amp is all warmed up. Then, when I'm done, I'll put the amp in Standby, put my guitar away and tidy everything else up, then power down.

After a gig, it's a good idea to let the amp cool down for about 30 minutes before transporting it. The filaments in the tubes can get fragile after being heated up and playing for several hours, so moving them with the tubes hot can damage or stress the tube's internals.
  • FYI, Get a tuner or a A/B/Y pedal or something. I personally know how annoying it is when I'm watching the band in front of mine playing, they I hear that fanastic pop going thru the PA. Its just being polite and professional!

He's got a wireless system that has a Mute on the broadcaster. So he can just mute that when he switches guitars.

But a tuner, or A-B-Y, or volume pedal... any of them will work.

One more note: for anyone plugging directly into a PA, like an acoustic guitar or bass thru a DI box... please be sure to tell the soundguy if you're unplugging! PA speakers are a lot more sensative than guitar speakers, so that "pop" hurts the PA a lot more than a guitar amp. Some acoustic guitarrists use a tuner pedal in front of the DI, too... which is a good idea. You can stay in tune, switch instruments, and keep on the soundguy's good side! When I do a gig with an electric/acoustic, I use a volume pedal... just a courtesy issue.
  • Thanks for those tips,

So technically what exactly does the standby switch do?

When it's down it is in standby mode, and the guitar signal is disconnected, or the speaker is?

When it's up sound come out?

Is that bout right?
  • Thanks for those tips,

So technically what exactly does the standby switch do?

When it's down it is in standby mode, and the guitar signal is disconnected, or the speaker is?

When it's up sound come out?

Is that bout right?

Let's go with an analogy here...

Turning the amp on is like starting your car. Leaving it in Standby is like leaving the car in Neutral. The car is already running, but if you wanna go somewhere, you gotta put it in gear. Then, when you park, you disengage the transmission, and then turn the car off.

The stand-by switch applies voltage to the tubes to warm them up, but doesn't allow any signal through.

Capite?
  • Yah, thats the main thing I wanted to know, that the signal was dissengaged. But since its still on the tubes will stay warmed up right? and i can unplug stuff without the pop. I understand. Thanks alot!!!
  • Yah, thats the main thing I wanted to know, that the signal was dissengaged. But since its still on the tubes will stay warmed up right? and i can unplug stuff without the pop. I understand. Thanks alot!!!

Same as pulling up to a convenience store for a pack of cigarettes... you wanna keep the heater (or AC) going, but don't want the car to move... just put it in neutral and leave the motor running.

Professional guitarrists will turn their amp on a half-hour before they play, let the tubes warm up, and just keep it on stand-by. Hell, I think PJ leaves their amps on for the entire opening act's set.

Another way to think of it, is like the mute button on your TV remote. The TV's still on, but it's not making noise while muted.