ampeg settings

trey_strey_s Posts: 17
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi,

The bass player in my band uses and ampeg rig with a 4X10 cab and and a single 18, im not sure of the exact model of the head. He also has a music man sub guitar. For some reason though, he has a very flat tone and does not cut through the mix well at all when playing live. My questions is what settings should he try to get that tight, clear, punchy sound that i know he's capable of?
SLAY THE UNBLELIEVERS!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• trey_s wrote:
    Hi,

The bass player in my band uses and ampeg rig with a 4X10 cab and and a single 18, im not sure of the exact model of the head. He also has a music man sub guitar. For some reason though, he has a very flat tone and does not cut through the mix well at all when playing live. My questions is what settings should he try to get that tight, clear, punchy sound that i know he's capable of?

What kind of bass, any specifices at all? Whats his playing style?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • hey...i'm in the band too haha....he plays an ernie ball musicman s.u.b. X02 4-string and his amp is an ampeg svt-4 pro head. our music is hardrock/metal/alternative
  • JSP552003 wrote:
    hey...i'm in the band too haha....he plays an ernie ball musicman s.u.b. X02 4-string and his amp is an ampeg svt-4 pro head. our music is hardrock/metal/alternative

I didn't mean it that way!

This is what I think, others might say other wise. With that set up, even with warn out strings and a half dead pre amp battery, should still sound extremely good.

So heres the deal, SVT-4 has a set up to send the lows to the low end cabinet (In this case 18"), and the highs to the High cabinet (4x10).

Now in my mind (and this is a big reason why I stay simple, tube bass head, thru 4x10 cabinet, and a boss tuner, thats it) it could be that the crossover isn't set correctly or he is over compressing the signal. I'd have him take the compression off first, and see if that helps, if not then its time to play with the crossover (he is hooking those two cabinets up correctly right? That might be something to look into, you can download the manual off ampegs website).

After that let me know, we can go to the next steps
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/