I need a new Bass FX

anarchRist_14anarchRist_14 Posts: 28
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Does anyone know any good Bass effects (affordable Bass effects). I've got a Jimi Hendrix wah, it kicks ass when you eq it right. And I've got a flashback fuzz for those rare bass solos, but I'm looking for something along the lines of Timmy C. during his Rage against the machine days. I want it to sound like a slap, like with growl and tone, but not to bright. Can someone help me?
Support you local anarchist
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• A compressor/expander is my favorite effect on bass. It's not the most obvious effect, but it really tightens down the sound. A good overdrive might be a good choice.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Thanks dude. I've always wanted to get an expander:when I play with my fingers sometimes I get un-wanted noise that needs to be taken care of. Nearly every Bass player has an overdrive, but what exactly does it do? Is it just like a high gain setting on a guitar, because I don't want to lose tone or get feedback.
  • A bass overdrive is the same as a guitar overdrive, it's just tailored for the frequencies of a bass. It can be a good effect, although I never use an overdrive on my bass. It does tend to suck some tone out, and while it can make a bass sound bigger, you lose some punch. If you want, you could probably try one out at a music store, see if you like it. I love compression on bass, though.
  • I tried an overdrive out like you said. It sounded pretty good in the music store, but it really kicked ass on my Amp. With a chorus effect after it and run through an 10-band equalizer it performed pretty damn well. It's more of a solo effect though, but it also works if you don't have a rythm guitar player to take the slack out of the backbeat.
  • Originally posted by anarchRist_14
    ...it also works if you don't have a rythm guitar player to take the slack out of the backbeat.

That's one big reason bass players use it, to take up the slack when the guitarist starts doing other things... Chris from Nirvana was a big fan of using a bass fuzz to carry songs when Kurt went off on a solo or something like that. Glad you like it.
  • Yeah, I remember reading that Curt did that during solos and stuff. Unfortunately I was only a couple of years old when Kurt died and the band broke up. I originally got the idea from Timmy C (Bass Player magazine) when their was still Rage against the machine. That band kicked ass. I don't suppose anyone knows what De La Rocha is up to these days.
  • Originally posted by anarchRist_14
    I don't suppose anyone knows what De La Rocha is up to these days.

Last I heard, he was still neck-deep on working on his solo album.

Y Tim K is a badass bass player, for sure...