Please God, someone help me!!

anarchRist_14anarchRist_14 Posts: 28
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
There is a point in one's music career (or lack thereof) that you think you kickass and that you are ready to go proffessional. Of course there's also that time in your career about five minutes later that you think you suck. I am at that point. I play the Bass, and I have pretty good coordination I guess, all that good stuff is there, but my sound is lacking. Someone have any good advice on tone/effects for bass. I'm tired of all those damn guitar players getting all the credit.
Support you local anarchist
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Yeah man, The Electro Harmonix Big Muff is great as well as the EH Bassballs.

Also look for Bass Synths and maybe a thick chorus or flange if you want to get really wacked out.

A compressor will also help you out a ton.

If you want to get really cool check out a pitch shifter like the WH-1 Whammy from
    Bass Players are more important to the band than guitar players, they are responsible for getting everyone in the crowd laid. If you sound bad we all sound bad.

Think about The Who. More than half the sound was Entwistle.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by anarchRist_14
    There is a point in one's music career (or lack thereof) that you think you kickass and that you are ready to go proffessional. Of course there's also that time in your career about five minutes later that you think you suck. I am at that point. I play the Bass, and I have pretty good coordination I guess, all that good stuff is there, but my sound is lacking. Someone have any good advice on tone/effects for bass. I'm tired of all those damn guitar players getting all the credit.

In addition to what paco said

- wh-1 is a must
    - tech21 is must

for compressors you might try the
    .boss cs-2 or 3 compress/sustainer
    .way hugh squeeze compress
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    Originally posted by puremagic
    In addition to what paco said

- wh-1 is a must
    - tech21 is must

for compressors you might try the
    .boss cs-2 or 3 compress/sustainer
    .way hugh squeeze compress

I really look foward to hearing you play someday.

I saw a group last weekend in an Irish pub my friends moms good playing buddies, female bassist so naturally I think of you. This lady was awesome she had two top of the line Peavy Cirrus bases and just a bassman 400 with a bit of compression. It was perfect in this small club well defined she never missed a note and added her own style too everything obviously very accomplished aparently she's been building guitars and playing most of her life so I guess that makes a big difference.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Thanks dudes. This is the most help I've ever gotten. I usually get alot of "maybe you should use one of those blue things with the pedal". And I fully agree with PacoMc, the bass player is the most important and always gets layed first (we're good with our fingers, and have got the 'rythm')
  • does boss make good flangers? (I forgot to ask)

That's awesome. I love the onion.

Yes boss makes pretty good flangers

I suggest you spend your hard earned cash on the Big Muff and new strings First.
    Originally posted by anarchRist_14
    does boss make good flangers? (I forgot to ask)

Yes. Can I ask what sound are you trying to achieve? Is it specific to a certain musical style or just loud?
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    It's important whether you pick or thumb or slap too.

An envelope filter would be really cool for whacked out 70's Parliment style tones.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    auto wah is an even more heinous effect that flange. shame on all of you.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    auto wah is an even more heinous effect that flange. shame on all of you.

:D

Not Auto Wah.........Envelop filter. The harder you slap the sharper the attack per the envelop.

Auto wah is heinous. I happen to like Jet Plane sounding Through Zero Flanging thank you very much. Sounds cool when it's nice and thinck and distorted. Ala Lenny Kravitz "Are you gonna go my way" then again that's on guitar.

That reminds me. First thing you buy man, not the Big Muff that's #2......scrap the Envelop Filter.

Buy a Bass Wah. Oh so fun. Bass Wah Wah.

Damn it, I just can't win as female bass player. How come dudes don't act like this.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    :D

Not Auto Wah.........Envelop filter. The harder you slap the sharper the attack per the envelop.

dude, that is auto-wah. allbeit a slightly wider ranging one.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    dude, that is auto-wah. allbeit a slightly wider ranging one.

Yeah well I guess all a wah is is an envelope filter but I was thinking of it simply in one range not the endless repetitive sweep I traditionally think of when I hear auto wah. I was thinking more of the Electro Harmonix slapped "Flea" sound.

*shudder* it makes me think of the partrige family.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Now, do we need a refresher in the band "pecking order" for the end of the night? :D
    There's No Code.
    Originally posted by House53
    Now, do we need a refresher in the band "pecking order" for the end of the night? :D

touché
    so what was that pecking order?
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    so what was that pecking order?

You and House are just being mean. Like you really don't know.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    umm...drummer first, lead singer second, guitar player(s) third, bass player last???

Am I close?
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com