band members . . .

albino_rockeralbino_rocker Posts: 26
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
what would the good people of the message pit advise a young guitarist, in a qiute serious band, to do about a drummer who is really arrogent.
He's a great drummer, and he can learn any PJ we ask him to pretty quick. Thing is he gets on our nerves quite a lot.
We're thinkin of waiting till we go up to sixth form then advertising for a new drummer, what do you all think?
some things once spoken, can't be taken back
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hmmmmm...........
    words. just talk to him. if that dont fix him, then feel free to do what you want....but hey, dont ell me youve done that, it has to be a powerful speech.
    trust me, its the best way to sort out problems, communication...powerful and effective communication.
    Nothing Better than Leather, man!

''i dont wanna think, i wanna feel''
  • You could get the vocalist to learn drums. Then, your problem would be solved! :D
  • parchyparchy Posts: 205
    It's always the drummer thats the ass for some reason...
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • mojorison_75mojorison_75 Posts: 157
    You just have to confront him with it. Tell him that his attitude has to change. If you don't speak up it won't stop and you'll all be miserable before long. Have a serious discussion and if that doesn't work, get rid of him. That's about all you can do.

Of course talking to him about it may result in him leaving anyway. If this happens don't fire him immediately. Give him a couple of days to cool off and see if he changes his attitude. No change, by by.
  • Well, I'm not exactly impartial in all this. I'm the vocalist's uncle, and I say, learn the drums, mate!

Trust me on this, fellas. The drummer and the rest of the band have what may be regarded as, er, ideological differences that won't be settled in this lifetime! :D And they did sack him before, but brought him back when they could find no replacement.....

I think ultimately this is a matter only you can solve, Albino mate.
  • mojorison_75mojorison_75 Posts: 157
    I see. I'm also guessing that bringing him back probably made him about 10 times worse. Usually how that goes.
  • lol, thank you all for your suggestions, as talking to him seems to be a general opinion we'll try that. lol, nice on FPC, maybe you could be our guiarist?! THEN we'd kick some serious ass . . . and I could learn drums! Haha, so we'd have mediocre dumming and . . . well . . . yeah. You know what I mean, FPC.

Many thanks to you all.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Question, albino or Fin, why did the drummer agree to come back?
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • HE BEGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEDDDDDDDD MEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

AND we needed a drummer, so that's how i t went....
    I don't live today.....Maybe tomorrow?-Jimi Hendrix
    Its nice to know your wanted. Still, why go back? You could have just said fuck it, no way, you don't need their shit and moved on.

Hopefully the main reason was because even with the attitude problems - you all know that when its right, it is right and the music and band are good.

Band members get to see the best and worst of each other, but if you remember that your first commitment is to the music and making a go at it. All the rest of the bullshit is just that bullshit that can be overcome. At the end of the day, go you separate ways.

To me the answers seem to be --

a. They begged you to come back because they are willing to do what it takes to make the music. Even dealing with you.

b. You came back, not just because they begged, but because whether you admit or not, you see something in these people and the band's commitment to make a go of it.

Even though neither one of these statements may include all the reasons of why - but both of them tells me the one thing -

None of you were welling to give up on the band as a whole, and that is what a band is -a whole of parts -. So start from there and see if things can be mended.

But if you really don't want to be part of the band, give them your notice. And if you all don't want him to be part of your band, tell him. So everyone can move on. Stop acting like a bunch of
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • erm well thankee for the suggestion.... i don't see what so
    about asking what to do with an annoying but good drummer....meh never mind...
    Originally posted by corduroy_vedder
    erm well thankee for the suggestion.... i don't see what so
    about asking what to do with an annoying but good drummer....meh never mind...

The end statement was not about your question, its about the actions taken to correction the situation. Either your willing to keep the drummer, as is. Or you have to let the drummer go so that everyone can move on. Make the decision as a band and stick to it.

Talk to/or read House53, his band is in a similar boat.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Thats three of us in the same boat
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
    Originally posted by nailz100
    Thats three of us in the same boat

Forgot about you.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    makes me glad i'm not in a band.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Puremagic...I'm hurt you forgot about me....haha.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
    Originally posted by exhausted
    makes me glad i'm not in a band.

Makes me glad I don't manage a band.
    Originally posted by nailz100
    Puremagic...I'm hurt you forgot about me....haha.

Slaps hand, won't happen again.
  • Gus_3218Gus_3218 Posts: 59
    words, if he doesnt get over it, dump him, get a new one. Your never gonna succeed dude if ur infighting in ur band. And you never know, Jack Irons could rock up.....
    ‘‘If somebody said to me, in twelve years you’ll be in a band with your brother and two carrot munching geezers who don’t like football I would have said fuck off, I’m not joining the Bee Gees.’’

Noel Gallagher
  • bruins1bruins1 Posts: 16
    Two words: Drum Machine.

Unfortunately, real drummers don't have an on/off switch.
    yankees suck
  • silassilas Posts: 23
    I just had a similar situation in my band (I'm the drummer, btw). Our singer was being an ass, didn't practice on his own, and would have been able to come to all of four practices this summer. I talked to all of the other band members and we decided to let him go, since we know a better singer who can replace him. If you can't find anyone who plays set, maybe you can talk someone into learning..it's quite fun.
  • lol, that's cool, I hope everything goes well with your new singer! lol, a drum machine would be fun . . . [in reply to the previous post] although there is a guy who's learning who we might be able to recruit . . . you never know . . .
  • bambi girlbambi girl Posts: 406
    wow, thats weird. i was reading your first post 'bino, and was like 'wow....this realy sounds like jon and ollie's band'....so looked at who made it, and it was you!

okay.....so its not that much of a big deal, but it freaked me out. i agree with unk fins :D.....ollie should learn drums....then you should get some suffolk chick to come and sing for you. alternativly, some suffolk chick could learn drums....

:D:D
  • Originally posted by bambi girl
    wow, thats weird. i was reading your first post 'bino, and was like 'wow....this realy sounds like jon and ollie's band'....so looked at who made it, and it was you!

okay.....so its not that much of a big deal, but it freaked me out. i agree with unk fins :D.....ollie should learn drums....then you should get some suffolk chick to come and sing for you. alternativly, some suffolk chick could learn drums....

:D:D

hehe this one sounds (to quote bambi) 'hella good!' could have a female drummer, who can do backing and as jon ain't no Eddie (nor am i) female leading vocalist. hehe, you'd have best of both, drumming and singing...that suffolk chick would make us very lucky :D
    hehe this one sounds (to quote bambi) 'hella good!' could have a female drummer, who can do backing and as jon ain't no Eddie (nor am i) female leading vocalist. hehe, you'd have best of both, drumming and singing...that suffolk chick would make us very lucky :D

hmmm....shame you dont know any suffolk chicks then...

;)
  • yeh, it is a damn shame :P....*sigh*
    *SHOUTS IN JOY* woooooooooooooooo
    (sorry schumacher just crashed-YES!:D )
    yeh, it is a damn shame :P....*sigh*
    *SHOUTS IN JOY* woooooooooooooooo
    (sorry schumacher just crashed-YES!:D )

*jumps* dude! you scared me....

i tried to read that name....and was saying shoe-mash-er.....until i realised what you meant. i used to like racing, until damon hill stopped. didnt care for it after that... :rolleyes:
  • Yeah, i was a damon fanatic, then he stopped :(, was coulthard then on, but now he's crap....but there is an english saviour- Jensen Button-who finished 2nd today :D