Options

Tube Amp Problem..

silassilas Posts: 23
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi,
I have a Fender '59 Bassman reissue amp, and for some reason it has blown two fuses in a short time period. The first time was the first time in the four years I've had it, and then after I bought the same exact model of fuse it had in it, it blew again shortly after I turned it on. It seemed to do it when I turned the volume down, if that matters any.
Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    It sounds like a short, and if it's affected by the volume, it might be just about anywhere in the curcuit. I would have it examined by a qualified tube amp tech quick. You don't want stray AC current running around your guitar and amp... dangerous stuff.

Do you play it at higher volumes typically? That might explain it... if you play it at like 80% capacity and then turn it down... the sudden reduction in amperage might cause the fuse to weaken.

Double-check the schematic or owner's manual to make sure you are using the proper amperage-rated fuse for that amp. If you are using a smaller fuse, then upgrade to the proper one. If you use the proper fuse, you might have a problem. If you are using a larger fuse than required... I would just not use that amp again until a techie looks it over.

Good luck...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    silassilas Posts: 23
    No, it's never played at high volume levels, since it is in a room with not exactly sound absorbing walls. I'll check the fuses again, to make sure it's the size size. Thanks.