Question about in-ear monitors

silassilas Posts: 23
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was wondering about in-ear monitors..Do you protect your hearing any? (I'm a drummer, and I'd like to keep my hearing, but it's hard to hear over the set with earplugs) I know that they are hard to get used to, but anything is better than screwing up your hearing, right? If they do protect hearing, is it the same amount as good-quality earplugs do? Thanks in advance
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    In Ear Monitors attenuate ambient noise and then provide clarity. That means you will be able to keep levels much quieter, and get better-quality sound. The two big problems most people have are 1) not being able to hear the audience, and 2) getting used to the earbuds.

If you are used to having a lot of bass or kick drum in your monitor mix, IEM's may lack some of the low-end definition that a large floor monitor would provide. But for vocal clarity, they are a godsend.

One last thing: A lot of pros are using both floor monitors and IEM's, getting the oomph from the wedge and the clarity from the earbuds.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • silassilas Posts: 23
    But do they protect hearing? That's the main thing I'm wondering about.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by silas
    But do they protect hearing? That's the main thing I'm wondering about.

yes, very much so. They block external sound like an ear plug. You get a clear customed tailored mix of what you want to hear that isn't as loud as having 5 monitors blasting up at you. Like mig said some people use both to get the kick feel in the stage. The vocals will be loud and clear from the in ear.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    When I said "attenuate ambient noise," I meant, "helps block sound." That does, indeed, protect your ears.

It makes it possible to get a good, clear mix in the monitors at 85-90 dB, rather than 110+ dB with floor wedges.

Hearing protection and clarity are the two main reasons anyone uses IEM's. Well, and the ability to wander and get a consistent mix (like U2 and the Rolling Stones using their catwalks, etc.).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • silassilas Posts: 23
    alright, that clears it up. thanks a lot guys. :)