Microphone modifications

nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
edited September 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I want to modify my microphone (beta 58a). I am sometimes getting in shit from soundguys when I perform, because sometimes when I am performing I choke up on the mic and muffle the sound....not alot, but apparently sometimes its enough to affect the sound. I play guitar/ sing on half of the songs and just sing on the other half. Obviously when I'm playing guitar this is not a problem....only when I am just singing. The microphone just doesn't sing big enough at the end where I am supposed to hold it to get optimum sound. I have used some of the wireless shure (1) piece wireless systems and I don't have this problem because they are alot larger in diameter, but the sound pales in comparison to an "actual" beta 58a. Any of you have suggestions on how to do this (besides wrapping duct tape around base of the microphone)...I want something that looks professional. I will also (obviously) have to modify the clip to fit the new diameter of the microphone.
Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    See if you can change the pattern.

The Beta 58A is Supercardioid. The wireless was no doubt Cardioid.

You might be able to switch.

What you gain from Supercardioid is a focused pattern and better feedback rejection ie, you don't get all the bullshit around the mic going on it's just your voice.. You really get better sound I think. I'd rather see you change what you do when you sing, rather than change the pattern but that's no doubt the reason for the difference in sound.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I really don't want to change the pattern.....

I just want to "modify" the micrphone so the base is a larger diameter. There's got to be some way to do this....I'm sure i'm not the only one whos though of doing this before. Of course I could do what Henry Rollins does and duct tape the mic to his hands....haha....anh, I couldn't do that because I play guitar as well.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by nailz100
    I really don't want to change the pattern.....

I just want to "modify" the micrphone so the base is a larger diameter. There's got to be some way to do this....I'm sure i'm not the only one whos though of doing this before. Of course I could do what Henry Rollins does and duct tape the mic to his hands....haha....anh, I couldn't do that because I play guitar as well.

hmm, well you could go to a builders supply store and find some of that grey insulation that they put on hot water pipes, wrap it, and tape it up with some black stage tape, that'd work.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.