Options

PSM 400 Wireless in-ear Monitor

nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
edited January 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone have any pointers on how I can get the best sound/ mix out of my monitors? Should I Keep mixmode on/ off? EQ on/ off?
Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    It depends... what kind of mixer are you getting signal from? Is there a 31-band EQ before the broadcaster? I'm not exactly familiar with that series...

Other note, are you using the stock Shure earbuds, or custom ears? The Shure buds are not going to be perfect, but custom ears will cost you a lot of money... it's worth thinking about.

Do you use one ear and then wedges, or both ears and wedges, or both ears, no wedges? What do you play?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    The mixer varies from show to show as we are the venues front of house system. The ears are molded to my ears for the standard E1's that come with the Shure PSM 400 system. I will either use both earphones or one depending on the sound I can get from the soundman. I prefer both if I can.
  • Options
    You didn't say what you played or sang...

It's cool that you moved to IEM's, though, you'll save a lot of hearing that way. I would try to keep the low-end out of the ears... kick drum and bass guitar... you can use those signals, but the low-end response isn't going to be great. If you were in a situation with a monitor console, you could EQ the kick drum and bass better, more top-end, so you could still use the signals in your mix. Vocals are best through IEM's, and guitars are okay... especially acoustic guitars. Just think "less is more" on the mixes. Start with what you need, the one or two most important things, and then add stuff sparingly to that. The limiters on the PSM series are pretty good, so you should be safe as far as levels, but still, take it easy to begin with. Don't want any piercing squeals right inside your ear canal. Let us know how they treat you!
  • Options
    Sorry I am the frontman. I play guitar & on about 70% of the songs, and Just sing on the other 30%.
  • Options
    Originally posted by nailz100
    Sorry I am the frontman. I play guitar & on about 70% of the songs, and Just sing on the other 30%.

Yeah, so just start with your vocal, and your guitar a bit behind that... add in any other instruments you need for cues, and then snare drum and a touch of kick drum. But like I said, less is more!