Paul Reed Smith

nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Any of you guys/ ladies play PRS's? If so, what are some of the positive and negative comments towards them...besides the $. I just got the new Mark Tremonti model, and man does it wail...
Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tremonti model eh....

SUCK IT STAPPY

Well I think they look very nice. Never heard one played live.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Excellent, player's guitars. Beautiful sound, Excellent construction all around great guitars.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Wait, do you mean the single-cut model that Gibson just won a lawsuit for?

I've always been curious about the Tremonti model... it's pretty affordable, and seems to have the right stuff. Enjoy!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I've got a mid-ninetys Custom 22 greenish-blue with the bird inlays and dragon p-ups and I absolutely love it. never goes out of tune and the five-way rotary switch is f-ing awesone. I still can't believe my wife let me buy it back then. She's so cool

http://www.evenflowrocks.com
    www.myspace.com/evenflowrocks

heathen frog psycho number ONE!
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Cool....
    What do you think about the 14:1 locking tuners? Do they hold the guitar in tune pretty well, or do you think it's a better idea to switch to a set of grovers? Yeah, I am talking about the single-cut....I think thats the only type of Tremonti model they make. What did Gibson sue them for....rip-off of their design?
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    Originally posted by nailz100
    Cool....
    What do you think about the 14:1 locking tuners? Do they hold the guitar in tune pretty well, or do you think it's a better idea to switch to a set of grovers? Yeah, I am talking about the single-cut....I think thats the only type of Tremonti model they make. What did Gibson sue them for....rip-off of their design?

there was a post with a link to the article here about a week ago...here is a link to the post...

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48409
  • jjimbeamjjimbeam Posts: 9
    One of the guys I play with has a custom 24, and I like the sound of it. I hate the locking tuners, and compared to my original 68 sg i'll take the SG any day of the week. For the price of a prs you could go find a sweet vintage gibson. (not in collectors shape of course, but one you would give a good home to and actually play)
    www.ransomrock.com
    www.myspace.com/ransom
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    What don't you like about the locking tuners?
    Originally posted by jjimbeam
    One of the guys I play with has a custom 24, and I like the sound of it. I hate the locking tuners, and compared to my original 68 sg i'll take the SG any day of the week. For the price of a prs you could go find a sweet vintage gibson. (not in collectors shape of course, but one you would give a good home to and actually play)

depends on the model you want. Most of the good vintage gibsons are the same price as PRS's it's more of a style and or sound deal than a price choice.

PRS Custom 24- $2300 (Guitar Center Atlanta)

1967 Gibson SG Special in reasonable but not good condition- $2200 (Guitar Center Atlanta) you still have to take the shitty ass Klusons off for Grovers or Schallers. which is the extra 100 bucks right there.

Plus you have to deal with the fact the pickups may need to be rewound because age does funny things to magnets and you might have to do considerable work to get the thing set up perfectly like you want it.

I love vintage Gibson's but it doesn't change the fact that aside from the custom shop pieces PRS guitars are far better made with better materials than any Gibson model currently on the shelf.

I personally love locking tuners, it makes re-stringing a hell of a lot easier. the PRS models are kind of un wieldy but Grover and Sperzel have excellent models.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • jjimbeamjjimbeam Posts: 9
    I can buy some of that, but my brother is a guitar tech, so I guess I don't have to worry about the other stuff.
    www.ransomrock.com
    www.myspace.com/ransom
    Originally posted by jjimbeam
    I can buy some of that, but my brother is a guitar tech, so I guess I don't have to worry about the other stuff.

definately saves some money, I agree with you on a lot of points too, There was a time I really wanted a PRS Hollowbody 2 but that's a lot of money to have in a guitar. I kind of like the old stuff better myself, but a lot of it is cosmetic and sentimental.