I've narrowed it down

nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
after looking a bunch of different 4 and 8 tracks. I've decided to go with one of the BOSS models...they seem to be the easiest to operate. Does anyone know some of the major differences between the Boss 864 and the 1180?
Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by nailz100
    after looking a bunch of different 4 and 8 tracks. I've decided to go with one of the BOSS models...they seem to be the easiest to operate. Does anyone know some of the major differences between the Boss 864 and the 1180?

The biggest and most obvious differences are 1 the CD recorder in the 1180 and the extra 4 faders on the 1180.

The 864 is the big brother to the BR-532 that I have.

I'd say the 1180 probably allows more control and more tracks at once.

also BR 1180

Self-contained 10-track digital recording studio with stereo
    20GB hard drive; supports linear recording and other modes
    Easy icon-based interface simplifies recording, bouncing, and mixing
    New XLR mic input with phantom power, plus Hi-Z input and line inputs
    Onboard COSM effects including 2 loop processors, an insert processor and Mastering Tool Kit
    Built-in CDRW
    Separate rhythm track with realistic drum sounds and patterns
    Import/export WAV files directly for loading drum loops, etc.

The 20 db harddrive is huge. no changing cards in and out.

The 1180 is a complete studio in a box for a band making demos.

The 864 is more or less better for single people writing songs I think. They can get ideas down and add a few layers to make it sound good.

It takes a while to learn either of them. I still haven't figured out how to use track bouncing on my 532. Got to find the manual.

It's nice to have 8 to 10 tracks because you can do everything in stereo.

The 864 essentially gives you 4 stereo tracks.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Any Idea how much recording time each of these hold? How much can your 532 hold?
    Any Idea how much recording time each of these hold? How much can your 532 hold?

It's expandable to 128 mb. on a smart card. Big but not huge.

I can only imagine how much you can put on 20 GB.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the 1180 sounds awesome.

7.5gig would be about 16 hours of uncompressed recording. that's total time. if you were using 8 tracks all the time, about 2 hours.

so 20 gig is almost 6 hours of full, 8 track.
    Cool.....I think I'm going to try and Find a cheap 1180
    Cool.....I think I'm going to try and Find a cheap 1180

good idea. It may seem like a lot of stuff you may not need yet but it will be there when you do need it. It's better to have more than you need over needing more than you have. You can always work up to it. Just the memory of the 1180 will save you some costs and the extra tracks are very nice.
    Sweet man...I can layer millions of guitars....drool