Replacing speakers

nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38075&item=3780983354&rd=1

This is basically the amp I have right now. Would it be possible to replace the existing speakers with (1) greenback and (1) vintage 30? The g12t-75's are in there right now rated at 75 watts ea. The vintage 30 is rated at 60w and the greenback at 25w. The combo is rated at 80 watts (40 per side I believe)....would I have to be worried about blowing the greenback speaker? What I am trying to do is improve the sound in that combo for a little while until I can buy the bogner shiva head and use a separate cab with it....I can't run a cab off this amp. I either want to buy the speakers seperately and buy and unloaded cab later when I get the bogner...or buy a cab now and use the speakers in my combo for the time being.
Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It's entirely possible... just match the impedance.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Should I be concerned with the wattage though? If the head is 80 watts and 40 watts per side...should I be worried about blowing the greenback if its only 25 watts?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    nailz100 wrote:
    Should I be concerned with the wattage though? If the head is 80 watts and 40 watts per side...should I be worried about blowing the greenback if its only 25 watts?

25 watts (nominal power)

break the little bugger in and listen for problems. Likely you'll be fine as long as you don't plug in a bass and you don't do silly crap like not unplugging your guitar while the amp is on. It should sound significantly better.

greenbacks can take a beating, I'll bet the peak power is over 40 watts and you aren't running that thing full tilt where it would actually be pumping out 40 watts.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    They've got the new type of greenbacks that are supposed to be 30 watts...ever heard one of those?
    nailz100 wrote:
    They've got the new type of greenbacks that are supposed to be 30 watts...ever heard one of those?

nope, sorry.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Their responses are in brackets...mine are the questions

Hello, I have a question about swapping speakers in my amp. I have an old 8240 Marshall valvestate amp...80 watts

(2x 40 watts each channel)

with original 2 12” gt75...Speakers in it. If I wanted to swap out these 2 speakers in the combo for a (1) Celestion vintage 30 and (1) celestion Greenback would I have any problems in doing so? I believe the greenback is rated for 25 watts

(this speaker do not have enough handing power, will burn in a short period of time)

and the vintage 30 rated around 65-70?

(This one can do the job but has to be 8 ohms)

So you need speaker that can handle 50 watts rms with an impedance of 8 ohms.

.............................................................................................
    Now he's talking about 50 watts?....what the F*$^@#?
  • I think that guy is smoking crack.

Either that, or he doesn't want to be liable if you crank your amp every night for five hours and blow the Greenback in a month.

What is the max. level you turn your master volume to?

Greenbacks are rated at 25 watts, which means that's the point where they start to exhibit signal distortion. They are a very robust speaker, you'd have to hit them with about an 80-watt blast to blow them out. But if you want a clean, clear signal, 25 watts is the limit. These ratings are electronic engineering ratings... that's why tube amps are rated lower than they are capable of pushing... for example, my Sovtek Mig 50 is rated at 45 watts, but I can get about 70-80 watts out of it, if I turn all the knobs to max.

The big issue here is that it's safe, but he doesn't want to take the liability for it blowing. It's just like Ford won't tell you synthetic oil is okay for your motor, even though synthetic oil provides 10x the protection of petrol-derived lube.

Just match the impedance, you'll be fine. Get an 8-ohm Greenback and an 8-ohm V-30 and enjoy the benefit of real fuckin' speakers.
    Honestly, I'd say max would be around 75% or so...maybe 80?

I was thinking about getting (2) vintage 30's and (1) greenback just in case one does go.....plus its always good to have a spare.
  • nailz100 wrote:
    Honestly, I'd say max would be around 75% or so...maybe 80?

I was thinking about getting (2) vintage 30's and (1) greenback just in case one does go.....plus its always good to have a spare.

That's not a bad idea... of course, new Celestions are running about $100 US, so that might put you back a bit. But if you have the budget... go for it...

Solid-state amps max out at about what they're rated for... so, 80% of 40 watts is 32 watts. You're maxing out at 32 watts. 32 watts isn't going to blow a Greenback. Trust me on that. It might not last as long as the V30, but it'll live for a good 5-10 years on that diet. And then you could probably just ship it to Weber for a re-cone, $30.
    I think that guy is smoking crack.

Either that, or he doesn't want to be liable if you crank your amp every night for five hours and blow the Greenback in a month.

What is the max. level you turn your master volume to?

Greenbacks are rated at 25 watts, which means that's the point where they start to exhibit signal distortion. They are a very robust speaker, you'd have to hit them with about an 80-watt blast to blow them out. But if you want a clean, clear signal, 25 watts is the limit. These ratings are electronic engineering ratings... that's why tube amps are rated lower than they are capable of pushing... for example, my Sovtek Mig 50 is rated at 45 watts, but I can get about 70-80 watts out of it, if I turn all the knobs to max.

The big issue here is that it's safe, but he doesn't want to take the liability for it blowing. It's just like Ford won't tell you synthetic oil is okay for your motor, even though synthetic oil provides 10x the protection of petrol-derived lube.

Just match the impedance, you'll be fine. Get an 8-ohm Greenback and an 8-ohm V-30 and enjoy the benefit of real fuckin' speakers.

It really is true you can't get good help these days.

Oh for a few more sales people who know more than just reading the product info on the box.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    It really is true you can't get good help these days.

Oh for a few more sales people who know more than just reading the product info on the box.

Yeah...

Me: So, that's a nice Strat you have right there.
    Clerk: Yeah, it's amazing. Jimmy Page plays that exact one.
    Me: Really? A Strat?
    Clerk: Yep, that exact one.
    Me: What kind of fretboard is that?
    Clerk: Uh, I'll have to check the product literature.
    Me: It looks like mahogany.
    Clerk: Could be...
    Me: What kind of amp would work with that?
    Clerk: We've got these new 500-watt amps from Fender...

Idiots.
  • I've found myself only going into chain stores for strings and such. I've only made real purchases at either a local shop, that ive been going to for years, or the Mesa-Boogie outlet in Hollywood. where the sales people actually know more than i do.
    Yeah...

Me: So, that's a nice Strat you have right there.
    Clerk: Yeah, it's amazing. Jimmy Page plays that exact one.
    Me: Really? A Strat?
    Clerk: Yep, that exact one.
    Me: What kind of fretboard is that?
    Clerk: Uh, I'll have to check the product literature.
    Me: It looks like mahogany.
    Clerk: Could be...
    Me: What kind of amp would work with that?
    Clerk: We've got these new 500-watt amps from Fender...

Idiots.

:D supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
    I looked at the back of my amp, and it says that the speakers themselves are rated at 4 Ohms...(must be in series?)...so I guess the idea of putting new speakers in there is kinda out of the question, no way am I buying 4 ohm speakers.....its either gonna be 8 or 16.
  • nailz100 wrote:
    I looked at the back of my amp, and it says that the speakers themselves are rated at 4 Ohms...(must be in series?)...so I guess the idea of putting new speakers in there is kinda out of the question, no way am I buying 4 ohm speakers.....its either gonna be 8 or 16.

Is that the number printed on the speakers themselves, or is that the number on the amp chassis?
    I believe its the speakers themselves....I'll have to look again tonight and let you know tomorrow.
  • nailz100 wrote:
    I believe its the speakers themselves....I'll have to look again tonight and let you know tomorrow.

Okay...

If the speakers are marked 4-ohm, your amp may still be rated at 8-ohms, and you'd be safe. But it kinda throws me... usually they match the impedance of the amp to the speakers in a combo. The only time they don't is if they have an external speaker jack where the combo's speaker and the external speaker are wired together in parallel. But we've determined that you don't have an external speaker jack.

The speakers in your amp aren't wired in parallel OR series. Your amp has two separate power amps... like having two amps in one box (for stereo signals). So, each speaker is wired to it's own power amp, not wired together.